Fowler driven by desire to succeed

Sophomore Western rider Casey Fowler has been a key part of the Tigers' winning ways. (IMAGE CONTRIBUTED)

While the football team attempts to secure a spot in the SEC Championship game by defeating Georgia this weekend, the women's equestrian team is looking for a win over the Bulldogs to further boost its chances to repeat as SEC Champions.

One of the many bright spots for the Tigers has been western rider Casey Fowler.

Fowler, sophomore from Azle, Texas, has been around horses her entire life.

"My mom has been riding since before I was born, so I grew up around horses," Fowler said. "When I was 10, I got my first pony."

Equestrian is one of the most expensive sports to get into as a young athlete because of the countless hours on the road for tournaments.

"I was really lucky that my parents were able to support me," Coleman said. "It is really expensive, but it is kind of like our family hobby.

"We only take one vacation a year other than horse shows. We even spend our Christmases at horse shows."

Fowler played volleyball until her sophomore year, but then decided to pursue her interest in horses.

That year, she visited Auburn and knew it was the place for her.

"I visited sophomore year and loved the campus," Fowler said, "and when I had an opportunity to be on the team, I knew it was the place I wanted to go."

Fowler's typical week is a busy one, as the team works out three times a week, practices five times a week and has meets on the weekends.

With little free time during the week, Fowler has time for a few hobbies, but not too many away from the Equestrian Center.

"I love being outside with animals, and I love to cook, too," Fowler said.

Equestrian coach Greg Williams said he thinks Fowler is one of the main reasons for the team's current success.

"Her desire to succeed may be one of the greatest attributes for her personal accomplishments, but we coaches like the way she pulls all members on the team together," Williams said. "Casey is driven to focus on details and does not give herself any slack.

"Her drive and work ethic will stand her well as a collegiate athlete during her collegiate years."

The team visited Fowler's home state of Texas last weekend and came away with a victory over SMU (6-4), but lost to TCU (11-7) and Texas A&M (11-8).

"The win was really good for the hunt seat," Fowler said. "They rode really hard. Our western team rode hard, too. We were going up against some really good schools. A&M was No. 2, and TCU was No. 7. SMU was a good win for us, too.

"It's hard to win on the road because we can't take our horses with us, so it's a definite advantage for the home team. At the collegiate level, most of the horses are donated, so they all have their little quirks about them."

The team is at the halfway point of the year.

Fowler said she expects the team to continue its success because of their closeness as a team.

"Our chemistry is really good," Fowler said. "We're all getting along really well, and everyone is positive and upbeat about the rest of the year."

Fowler said she has many memories of Auburn, but her fondest is winning the ring.

"The highlight of my career at Auburn was winning the SEC Championship last year and being able to go on the field and get our rings," Fowler said.

The Tigers face Georgia in its last meet of the year, then enjoy a long break until they meet Tennessee-Martin Jan. 28.

Share and discuss “Fowler driven by desire to succeed” on social media.