Spain program shifts its focus

The Department of Foreign Languages and Literature has announced that it is revamping one of its most popular summer abroad programs.

The summer Spanish immersion program in Salamanca, Spain, is undergoing changes that will be implemented next summer.

The program offers students an intensive study of the Spanish language and culture of Spain.

"The Salamanca program is one of Auburn's oldest study abroad programs," said Jana Gutierrez, program director. "Its popularity was growing beyond its means, so they forced us to find a solution that would solve the problem of overcrowding."

Students will study at the Universidad de Salamanca, which was built in 1230 and is Spain's oldest university. Located 120 miles west of Madrid, Salamanca is a city rich in culture and history and is home to the Plaza Mayor.

"Salamanca was a beautiful place to be," said Laurin Lee, junior in elementary education. "I really enjoyed getting a chance to experience living abroad."

The focus of education has been intensified for the Salamanca program.

"The quality of learning has been vastly improved," said Jorge Munoz, one of the three program directors. "Students will be taught by professors from the Universidad de Salamanca, and they are some of the best in their fields."

In order for students to develop their linguistic proficiency, they are placed in classes that are in accordance with their level of Spanish.

Students are expected to take six credit hours dealing with conversation, syntax, composition, literature, Hispanic film and others.

"Being totally immersed in the culture really improved my Spanish communication skills," Lee said.

Classes begin in the morning and are in session until mid-afternoon, so students have half of the day and weekends to explore Salamanca.

"For the first time, the students will have the choice to either stay with a family or in a dorm," Munoz said. "If they choose to stay with a family, which I highly recommend, they will have a more immersed cultural experience."

An additional improvement the program made is a limited number of participants.

In previous years, the trip has never been capped, but this year there is only room for 80 participants.

"I think this will definitely be an improvement," Lee said. "Last year there were more than 100 students there. It was a really big group."

Munoz said this year's trip is also the cheapest it has ever been.

Munoz stresses while the changes are academic, the program is the same.

"It's the students who are going to realize that everything they loved about the Salamanca program are still there," Gutierrez said. "They just improved the quality of the program."

There will be an informational meeting at 4 p.m. Nov. 17 in Haley Center 2370.

Gutierrez said the department is introducing a Costa Rica program and a summer program in Madrid, which was previously only available as a semester-long program.

Share and discuss “Spain program shifts its focus” on social media.