Theatre to electrify audiences with Machinal

Cast members rehearse for Auburn University Theatre's upcoming production of the American expressionist play "Machinal." (Elaine Busby / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Love, murder and the 1920s are just a few words that preview Auburn Theatre's upcoming production, "Machinal."

The curtains will rise Nov. 11-19 for the performance of Sophie Treadwell's play.

"Machinal" is an American expressionist play based on the factual events of Ruth Snyder's trial, the first woman executed by electric chair.

Snyder was a young woman who was tried and ultimately found guilty of murdering her husband with the help of her lover.

A few months after the trial, Treadwell's play was produced.

Treadwell changed Snyder's name to Helen Jones, played by Kylee Wofford, senior in musical theatre.

"This play is a play I have wanted to direct for a number of years," said Heather May, director of the play. "It is very interesting and compellingly stylized; it looks at issues regarding human relationships in a mechanized, technology-written world."

Instead of fully relying on the sound equipment for recorded sound effects, a soundscape will be done live backstage.

"The sounds heard in the play are being conducted by people closing binders or sweeping backstage," said Bree Windham, senior in theatre and the production's dramaturge.

Windham, who was responsible for doing historical research on the play, thinks the main thing people forget is theatre is not limited to performing.

"This play is really exciting because it incorporates historical background, but also has this awesome art history background as well," Windham said.

The preparation of this production has been a quick, intense process.

The cast, which began rehearsing Oct. 14, consists of 18 actors and one understudy for a 30-character cast.

"Because of the huge ensemble piece that the actors are responsible for, this play has been a labor of love for many people, and in a way that is very unusual," May said. "It has been really exciting to work on a hugely collaborative project, and the students involved have really risen to the occasion."

One thing on which May and Windham agreed was the movement of the play is unique and entertaining.

"There are snippets that take the audience from one point to the next, and in these, grand decisions are being made by our main character," Windham said. "But the audience has to reserve all of their preconceived notions of how they feel about something until the end when something big happens. Then they have to decide at that time. It's really cool."

Opening night is Thursday, Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the Auburn Theatre box office or online.

Tickets are free to Auburn students with a valid ID, $10 for faculty and $15 for the general public.

"I have read parts of 'Machinal' before and really look forward to seeing how the Auburn Theatre performs it," said Carrie Harts, junior in biomedical sciences.

Windham said he extends an invitation to everyone to come enjoy and support Auburn's local art.

"It is maybe one of my favorite plays we've done," Windham said. "It is definitely worth seeing."

The play premiered Sept. 7, 1928 in Plymouth Theatre in London.

Share and discuss “Theatre to electrify audiences with Machinal” on social media.