Atlanta guide to the SEC Championship

Atlanta's world-class sports arena, the Georgia Dome, has hosted some of sports' most electrifying events, from NFL football games to the 1996 Olympic Games.

The Dome will open its gates Dec. 4 to a flood of orange and blue and garnet and black for one of the premier events in college football, the 2010 SEC Championship game.

For lucky ticket holders and tailgaters, parking near the Dome is vital.

"All the pregame action is going to be by the stadium, even for people who aren't planning on going in to the game," said Jamison Codner, Atlanta native and senior in business administration.

Georgia World Congress Center Authority parking lots are available to the public during non-Falcons games. These include the conveniently located and color-coded lots nearby: Green ($8), Blue ($8), Brown ($10), Orange ($10) and Yellow ($8).

All lots open 4 hours prior to the event.

The Georgia Dome's tailgating policy will have Auburn fans tailgating in a different fashion from campus game days.

In order to keep lanes open, tailgaters are permitted only in the grassy areas behind parking spaces, and no single tailgate can exceed a 9-by-12 foot space.

"I've tailgated for Falcons games, but I can't even imagine how out of control it's going to be for this game," Codner said.

For food and beverage or just a spot to watch the game, there are plenty of restaurants or sports bars in Atlanta.

The Bucket Shop Cafe in the heart of Buckhead, approximately 9 miles from the stadium, prides itself on being the viewing home of the Auburn family and the Atlanta-Auburn Club.

With eight big-screen televisions and a full menu, the Bucket Shop will definitely be one of the hottest spots for Auburn fans Saturday.

Another game-day spot is the Diesel Filling Station, also sponsored by Atlanta-Auburn Club as a home for Auburn spirit.

Located approximately 4 miles from the stadium, the Filling Station has a full menu, drinks and a great atmosphere for watching the game.

"I know a lot of students didn't get tickets, so it works out well that there are so many restaurants and bars in walking distance," Codner said.

No Mas! Hacienda and Cantina, Max's Coal Oven Pizzeria and Jamal's Buffalo Wings are among some of the highly-rated restaurants near the stadium.

Tyler Pearson, an Atlanta public relations specialist, said several city attractions are having special discounts.

Fans who want to do some sight seeing on their trip can purchase an Atlanta CityPASS that will allow discounted price and no-line access to the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, Inside CNN Atlanta Studio tour and Zoo Atlanta.

For fans who want to stick around the Georgia Dome area, Pearson said they are in luck too.

"There are several restaurant deals going on too. One big thing for fans is the proximity of the Georgia dome to downtown. A lot is just in walking distance," Pearson said.

Either way, Auburn fans will find they have plenty to do on game day.

"It's almost like Auburn has the home-field advantage in this game," said Mary Baker Maund, senior in marketing. "I feel like Atlanta is very much an Auburn hub."

Share and discuss “Atlanta guide to the SEC Championship” on social media.