JCSM receives gift from Auburn alumna

After careful consideration, Patricia Smith donated three pieces of artwork to the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art in memory of her daughter, Kathryn Patterson Smith Bracken, 1982 Auburn graduate.

Smith gave the JCSM two pieces by Clark Walker and one piece by Anne Goldthwaite.

"We are grateful to Mrs. Smith and her family for these gifts," said Marilyn Laufer, JCSM director. "She is only one of many who keep alive the legacy of building the museum collection as an educational resource for the University and community."

Laufer said the pieces acquired from the Smith family are a part of the JCSM Permanent Collection.

"We carefully consider each gift offer, making sure it is a quality work representative of the artist and appropriate to the mission of this museum," Laufer said.

All three works are landscape oil paintings on canvas.

"The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Art has received a generous gift," said John Wagnon, close friend of Walker. "The paintings by Clark Walker and by Anne Goldthwaite represent links in an unbroken chain of teachers and friends that stretches back to Paris in the 1920s."

Once the Admission Board approved the artworks, the deed of gift was signed December 2009.

The works were then sent to Marietta, Ga., for restorative work and cleaning.

"JCSM is a world-class museum, and mom's wishes are to assist in helping share Alabama's talented cultural heritage," said Will Smith, son of JCSM donator Patricia Smith.

Goldthwaite's paintings are displayed in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Smithsonian American Art Museum, among other museums.

Share and discuss “JCSM receives gift from Auburn alumna” on social media.