Professor to receive presidential award

Virginia Davis, professor in the department of chemical engineering, will head to Washington Dec. 13 to be recognized by President Barack Obama for her work in her early academic career.

Davis has been chosen by the National Science Fund to receive the Presidential Faculty Early Development CAREER award.

"I was stunned," Davis said, "really, really stunned. It's very humbling because the letter that came from the Office of Science and Technology in the White House put all these great accolades and hopes into it, and it's a lot to live up to."

If her work thus far is any indication, she will have no trouble fulfilling those expectations.

University Provost Mary Ellen Mazey had nothing but high praise for Davis.

"We are very proud of Dr. Davis and know she will continue to bring recognition to Auburn University for her groundbreaking research and discoveries," Mazey said.

Davis' work focuses on the science of "nanomaterials," tiny particles that are used as building blocks to construct more complex pieces of technology.

She will receive a $400,000 grant, along with the award, to continue her research.

"We didn't know about nanomaterials until fairly recently because we didn't have the tools to see them and control them," Davis said.

While the research component of her work is being honored, the award also recognizes her work outside the lab.

Davis works with local middle school children to spur interest in science and math.

She has also started a chapter of the Society of Hispanic Engineers at Auburn to help the University's small, but growing Hispanic population network and search for professional and graduate opportunities.

"The Society of Hispanic Engineers is an amazing organization for professional development," Davis said. "It's not just for engineers, it's for anyone who is majoring in science, technology, engineering, math."

While the organization carries "Hispanic" in the name, Davis stresses it is not a restrictive organization.

"There are a lot of non-

Hispanic students who go into it because it's one of the best career development organizations out there," Davis said. "We've never had a chapter at Auburn for some reason. I decided it was one of the things I wanted to do."

Davis' passion for creating opportunities for underrepresented groups stems from her background.

Of Cuban and Irish descent, Davis said she hopes she can be an example of what is possible to young Hispanics interested in science and math.

"I think that it's re-motivating, re-energizing," Davis said. "Sometimes you wonder if you're really doing something good.

"And I feel kind of arrogant saying I see myself as a role model, but I guess that's what it's about."

Mazey points to Davis' award as just another example of recognition for what she called the "innovative research" Auburn continues to carry out.

Davis said she hopes the award will help her continue her work to inspire the next generation of engineers, scientists and mathematicians.

"It's nice for someone to notice," she said. "Especially the White House, that you're doing these things, saying 'hey, this is a good thing to teach eighth graders about nanotechnology.'"

Share and discuss “Professor to receive presidential award” on social media.