Men's lacrosse hoping for breakthrough season

After returning from a tough season in 2010, the Auburn University men's lacrosse team is ready to get back on the field.

Last year, the team only had two seniors and two starters returning from its 2009 undefeated season, which was a big adjustment in the team dynamics.

"After going 10-0 to winning one game last year, it was a difficult season to stomach," said coach Addison Barden. "This year, we have about seven returning players, so we'll be a young team, but I've been impressed with the returning players' leadership as well as some new guys stepping up."

Returning players have stood out as leaders on the field by helping the new players transition from high school lacrosse to the faster pace at the collegiate level.

Sophomore attackman Jake Ponseti, senior midfielder Mshon Pulliam and senior defenseman Marshall Clark have been chosen as the team's captains for this season.

All three are expected to have a large impact on the team's success this season.

"I really feel like we're starting to come together as a team," Ponseti said. "Guys are hanging out together outside of practice, and that's what you want to help you succeed with any team."

Barden has not only coached the Auburn lacrosse team for the past year, but also played on the team as an undergrad.

His experience in participating both on and off the field in the SEC is a great asset in understanding what to expect from Auburn's competition.

"After playing at Auburn as an undergrad and coaching last year, it seems as though every SELC (Southeastern Lacrosse Conference) team we play is a big rivalry," Barden said.

"But our biggest three rivalries would be the University of Alabama, the University of Georgia and the University of Florida, in that order."

Having a successful season is a primary focus for the players, but the team also puts a lot of time and effort into getting involved in the Auburn community.

Parents in the community are trying to start a league for youth lacrosse, and the lacrosse club is working on making that happen.

Last Sunday, the team held a youth lacrosse clinic next to Wright's Mill Elementary School on Margie Piper Field.

"A goal of mine is that we can get this little league started," Clark said. "This is a great opportunity for the kids, as lacrosse is still growing and there are not many teams in Alabama."

The lacrosse club will host its first game Saturday against Mississippi State.

The team also plays Florida State in Auburn the following day.

Home games take place on the City of Auburn fields located on Shug Jordan Parkway.

The lacrosse club has high expectations this season and hopes to qualify for the SELC tournament at the end of the season.

"Who knows, maybe we'll pick up some of the momentum that one of our other, more major sports teams has recently been creating," Ponseti said.

For more information, visit the website http://auburn.ialax.com.

Share and discuss “Men's lacrosse hoping for breakthrough season” on social media.