Spirited Alverson becomes key part of team dynamics

From beauty pageants to basketball, Blanche Alverson can do it all.

As Southeastern Conference player of the week, Alverson said she is honored to be part of such an incredible group.

"It was an honor because we have such great players in this conference," Alverson said.

Alverson started playing basketball when she was 6 years old because she always saw her brother playing.

Since then, she has played in recreational leagues and in high school and now at Auburn.

"I grew up an Auburn fan, and my dream was always to go play college basketball, so it just made sense," Alverson said. "I had always been an Auburn fan, and it was both worlds together."

While attending Auburn, basketball has become a major part of Alverson's life.

She said academics always come first, but basketball is right after that.

"All of her friends know that basketball is a main priority," said friend Emily Brown, senior in education, "but we also see her doing a great job of time management.

"Somehow she manages to be in a sorority, make great grades and hang out with her friends, all while playing basketball."

The extracurricular activities do not seem to worry Alverson, though.

"I have enjoyed getting to know both sides of it," Alverson said. "I get more of a social aspect with Greek life, but I also get to know all of the athletes."

Other than basketball and Greek life, Alverson likes to hone her singing skills before games and at practices.

She sings before every game to get her teammates pumped up and has fun singing along with the band.

"The songs (in the arena) sometimes don't have words, so it hurts my singing ability," Alverson said.

Not only does Alverson enjoy singing to pump up her teammates, she also participated in pageants in high school.

She sang in many of the pageants and placed in several of them.

Fellow teammate Morgan Toles said Alverson's spirit shows on the court.

Toles gets other insights into Alverson's life because they are roommates.

"She eats the nastiest snacks," Toles said, "like the healthiest stuff that your grandmother would eat and enjoy. I don't even know the names of these snacks-so gross."

Share and discuss “Spirited Alverson becomes key part of team dynamics” on social media.