Student rows 1 million meters into world record books

Edward Budimier, senior in electrical engineering, became the fourth person to break the world record in the Men's Individual Heavyweight division for the Million Meter Row.

Budimier has been a member of the rowing team for four years and is vice president of the men's team.

"We're always impressed with him," said Taylor Askew, senior in art and a member of the Auburn Rowing team.

Using two Concept2 Indoor Rowers, Budimier spent eight and a half days rowing 1 million meters in 197 hours and 41 minutes.

Concept2 ergometers, or "ergs," consist of a flywheel connected to a chain and handle and are used to simulate rowing on land.

"You look at the machine, and you don't think much about it, but once you get on it, it kicks your butt," said Van Jones, senior in building science.

"I felt motivated to motivate the rest of the team," Budimier said. "I wanted to do something to show that just because we were a club team didn't mean we couldn't do great things."

Concept2 allows users to keep track of their rowing times on its website.

While logging his times on the site one day, Budimier came across a page marked Ultra-Distance Individual Million Meter Row.

Budimier contacted Concept2 by e-mail to ensure he met the requirements to attempt the record.

The 21-year-old set out to row 1 million meters Dec. 21.

He kept a log of his times from start and finish for each rowing session.

The ergometer also kept a record in the machine's computer.

Starting at 8 a.m., Budimier rowed continuously, only stopping to take short 4-5 minute breaks every 55 minutes.

He used these quick breaks to fuel up on pasta, water and Gatorade in order to endure the long hours spent on the ergometer.

After rowing an average of 115 kilometers each day, Budimier would refuel with plenty of carbohydrates, stretch and go to bed.

During hours spent rowing, he would listen to his iPod or watch movies on a TV he set up in his garage.

He also had family members check on his progress every few hours to make sure he was in good condition.

Budimier completed the Million Meter Row Dec. 23, breaking the million meter world rowing record for his age division.

"It's a huge accomplishment." Askew said.

The record set by Budimier can be viewed on the Concept2 website under Ultra-Distance World Records.

"I would spend at least an hour or two on the erg every day," Budimier said about preparation.

Budimier, a member of Auburn University's ROTC, spends three days a week in physical training.

He also leads the rowing team's hour-long practices every afternoon.

He and the rowing team also practice at 4 a.m. twice a week on Lake Martin.

"He's a really hard worker," Askew said, "probably one of the best on the team."

Budimier will be commissioned by the Marines when he graduates this May.

"People can do great things if they put their minds to it," Budimier said.

Share and discuss “Student rows 1 million meters into world record books” on social media.