Carnivale unmasks local artists

Kelly Davino and Chase Cox enjoy a night of dancing at the Carnivale masquerade ball Feb. 12. (Daniel Friday / Photo Staff)

Guests at The Layman Group's Carnivale didn't want to show their faces.

At the masquerade-themed party inspired by Cirque Du Soleil, guests were greeted with a red carpet and mingled in formal gowns and sequined masks under a romantically lit tent.

The ball was held Feb. 12 at Pebble Hill and benefited artists connected with The Layman Group, a nonprofit art organization whose purpose is to promote local art in the Auburn area and throughout the state.

The night of glamour and mystery was also a showcase for artistic talents.

Doc Waller, founder of The Layman Group, contacted local vendors and artists to create a different experience for attendees.

Waller said the ball was an opportunity for people to come out and have fun as well as learn about what The Layman Group does.

"We deal with visual art, music, dance," said Ashley Mobley, events ambassador for The Layman Group. "If people think it's art, then we want to see it."

The ball highlighted several artists and merchants from nearby areas including dancers, musicians, makeup artists and a local brewing company.

The decor was a Southern twist on a masquerade with stylish conversational areas set up throughout the tent. Vintage couches and contemporary tables topped with rose petals mixed together to create the backdrop.

"A lot of smiles on a lot of faces, and that's what this is all about," Waller said. "We just want to make some people happy."

Brad Wilson, event participation coordinator with Back Forty Beer Company, said he was glad to help The Layman Group support local artists.

"It took a lot of philanthropy for us to get started," Wilson said. "We wanted to give that philanthropy back."

The ball featured a performance by Dance Truck, an Atlanta based contemporary dance company, as well as music by Adventure, a band made up of Auburn undergraduates.

"We've done some stuff with The Layman Group before," said Chandler Jones, freshman and Adventure band member. "We did their Feed the Band series and they asked us to do this, too, so we're really glad to be here."

While guests were entertained with musical and theatrical performances, they also enjoyed refreshments provided by Earth Fare and Opelika Pork Tour, a championship barbecue team from the Auburn-Opelika area.

"We're trying to get out there and let people see who we are and what we do," Mobley said.

"We're not all business--we want to have fun--we want people to be involved as much as they possibly can."

Mobley said proceeds from the event will be used to help The Layman Group fund upcoming art projects in the community, including art exhibits and workshops.

They will also help support Geste, The Layman Group's company of dancers and local artists.

Share and discuss “Carnivale unmasks local artists” on social media.