College of Agriculture distinguishes five in banquet

Alabamians who have supported the state's agriculture are to be recognized at the Agriculture Alumni Association annual meeting and Hall of Honor banquet for their contributions to the industry.

Five individuals will be inducted into the alumni association's Hall of Honor on Feb. 22 at the Auburn Hotel and Dixon Conference Center.

The Hall of Honor was established in 1984 with the purpose to bestow honor and recognition upon living Alabamians who have made significant contributions to the agriculture industry in Alabama.

"It's a great way for the College of Ag to honor and give something back to the people who have done so much for the advancement of the College of Agriculture and agriculture in general," said Kirk Cogle, senior in agriculture communications.

Jerry Newby, Dallas Hartzhog and Harold Pate will be recognized by AAA for their contributions in three sectors of the industry.

Jerry Newby of Athens will be recognized for his work in the agribusiness sector of agriculture.

Dallas Hartzhog of Headland will be honored for his work in education and government.

Harold Pate of Lowndesboro will be recognized for his work in production agriculture.

The biographical plaques of these Hall of Honor inductees will be displayed on the first floor of Comer Hall.

Along with the Hall of Honor inductions, the AAA will present the 2011 Agricultural Pioneer Award to the families of two recipients. The 2011 recipients of the Pioneer Award are the late John "Doc" Cottier, former poultry science faculty member at Auburn, and the late B.W. "Buck" Appleton, a leader in the Alabama poultry industry.

The Pioneer Award was established in 1995 to posthumously recognize individuals whose lives and work impacted the Alabama agriculture industry.

Past recipients of the Pioneer Award have ranged from faculty administrators to farmers and ranchers.

The brass plate that lists each year's recipients of the Pioneer Award can also be found on the first floor of Comer Hall.

In past years, the banquet has had a large turnout, with attendees ranging from students to agricultural leaders and politicians.

"No doubt many in attendance will be future recipients of the Hall of Honor award," said Donald Mulvaney, associate professor for the department of animal sciences.

Behind the scenes of the banquet, Elaine Rollo and Martha Patterson, both administrative support specialists for the College of Agriculture, work to organize and script the annual event.

"Agriculture Alumni Association members are nationwide. Our association hosts around 1,700 members," Rollo said.

Most members are from Alabama, but have moved elsewhere in the country.

"We already have 220 guests attending, and I expect there to be many more in attendance by next weekend," Rollo said.

Tickets to the 2011 Hall of Honor banquet are $50 and are available to the public.

For more information, contact Elaine Rollo at 334-844-3204.

Share and discuss “College of Agriculture distinguishes five in banquet” on social media.