Congo ambassador speaks on African issues

Her Excellency Faida Mitifu, ambassador of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, wil speak at Auburn Feb. 28 (contributed)

She goes by Her Excellency.

Faida Mitifu, ambassador of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. will give a free lecture Feb. 28 at 3:30 p.m. in the Student Center 2222-2223.

After the lecture, refreshments will be served during a question-and-answer session with Mitifu.

Mitifu's journey to becoming ambassador started at Auburn, where she earned a master's degree in French studies.

Afterward, she went on to complete her Ph.D. in romance languages at the University of Georgia.

Before she became ambassador in 1999, Mitifu worked as an assistant professor at both the University of Georgia and Columbus State University.

"The president of the Congo was looking for ambassadors, and the name Faida was casually mentioned," said Samia Spencer, French professor and organizer of the lecture. "He interviewed Faida for the position of ambassador in the United States--that's the highest ambassadorship that any country has."

Mitifu is one of the longest serving ambassadors in Washington, D.C. During her 11-year ambassadorship, she has been a vital promoter of the United States--Democratic Republic of the Congo relationship.

"There are not that many ambassadors (who) served that length of time," Spencer said.

Mitifu has worked to enhance women's involvement in political and economic issues. She also launched the first African Growth and Opportunity Act to encourage Congolese to export and import with the United States.

She has worked with the World Food Bank, coordinated visits to the United States for the Congo president, promoted peace in the Congo and advocated African trade with other countries.

"This is where I have respect for the president because he did not get any financial benefit by naming her--she was not going to contribute anything to his campaign--but he saw in her potential to be a distinguished person who has the confidence, the knowledge, the personality," Spencer said.

Mitifu has worked with several organizations and presented lectures on topics inlcuding children soldiers, sexual violence, partnerships with foreign countries and women's issues.

The lecture, titled "The United States and Africa: Current Opportunities and Concerns," will cover topics ranging from issues in Africa to women's equality.

Students are encouraged to attend the lecture in order to engage in learning African issues.

Mitifu has given lectures at several universities in the U.S., as well as in Europe, covering African political issues, women's roles, children rights and African relationships with foreign powers.

"I am sure she will answer questions about political issues and economic issues and women's issues," Spencer said. "There are all kinds of political unrests in the African continent these days."

The last time Mitifu was in Auburn for an official visit was in 2002 for an international conference.

Share and discuss “Congo ambassador speaks on African issues” on social media.