Mall's slow pace affects businesses

West Pace Village has yet to reach its apex since losing speed riding the economic roller coaster.

Auburn's first high-end outdoor shopping center has only added three businesses since 2005.

The site is located on South College Street just beyond Interstate 85.

Paul Brockwell, general manager of Lynch Toyota, one of the businesses in the auto mall, said the slow progress has affected his business, mostly because of a decrease in foot traffic.

The two Lynch dealerships were previously located on South College Street adjacent to Big Blue Bookstore and Walmart.

"We don't have that natural drive-by traffic anymore," Brockwell said.

In the old location, Brockwell said, they used to bring in many people who were out running errands or eating dinner.

"We are at some disadvantage because unless you are coming out here to look at cars or to service cars, you really have no reason to be out here," Brockwell said. "It's been difficult getting the exposure so people know we are out here."

Lynch Nissan broke ground in the summer of 2008, and Lynch Toyota followed. Construction in the West Pace Auto Mall for Lynch Chevrolet-Cadillac is set to begin next week, Brockwell said.

"Certainly, I think we expected a little more growth, but of course, nobody could have known the economy was going to go belly-up like it did," he said.

Lynch Nissan and Lynch Toyota were the first to build in the West Pace Auto Mall subsection, the outlying strip closest to I-85. A convenience store has recently been added to the property.

Original plans by Tom Hayley of Hayley-Redd Development Co. included retail shopping, full-service restaurants, car dealerships, hotels and a movie theater.

Hayley was not available to comment.

According to plans submitted to the City Council, the auto mall is the first phase of the four-phase process. Next to be developed would be the outlying lots closest to I-85, suitable for restaurants and other stand-alone businesses.

"You have to keep in mind that we are coming off probably the worst recession since World War II, so retail has been pretty slow all over, not just at West Pace," said Phillip Dunlap, director of economic development.

Infrastructure such as water and sewage for the 165-acre property has already been completed.

"I don't know if there's anything official out there, but as far as we know there are some people who are looking at the property now that maybe weren't looking at this property a year and a half ago when the economy was where it was," Brockwell said.

Brockwell expects the development to bring a lot to the city, not only by way of tax revenue, but also a more high-end market than what Auburn is used to.

"Hopefully we'll see some really good things coming out here," he said.

Share and discuss “Mall's slow pace affects businesses” on social media.