Universities unite in song

William Powell introduces the Auburn University Chamber Choir at Saturday's concert. (Christen Harned / Assistant Photo Editor)

A unique collaboration took place Feb. 12, unifying both the Auburn University and The University of Southern Mississippi choirs for a public choral performance at Auburn United Methodist Church.

With the ensemble, USM continued its semester tour titled "The Southern Chorale," conducted and organized by Gregory Fuller.

William Powell, director of choral activities at Auburn, was responsible for coordinating Auburn's 45 vocalists.

The USM choir of 55 individuals completed four concerts during the weekend, including its feature with Auburn.

"One of the biggest values of doing something like this is that it gives our students the opportunity to hear what's going on outside of Auburn," Powell said. "Having the opportunity to hear a group outside the state of Alabama helps us to figure out where we stand in the midst."

The USM choir has completed 10 concerts since January.

"We're very active," Fuller said. "It's just a combination of being visible regionally, nationally and internationally."

More than 75 individuals filled the pews of the 126-year-old church.

The show opened with both choirs singing "Dread Farewell" by Dan Forrest.

The two groups also harmonized in singing their second and final combined number, "Ave Maria" by Franz Liszt.

The performance included the men's and women's choirs from both schools.

Jody and Missy Powell, parents of two of the vocalists, made the trip from their hometown of Mobile to see their sons sing.

Their youngest son, freshman Marc Powell, sang with the Auburn chamber singers group, and their eldest son, junior Joseph Powell, with the USM choir.

Jody, choral director at St. Paul's Episcopal School in Mobile, and Missy, assistant choral director, said they were proud to witness their sons carry on the family tradition.

"I'm just ecstatic that we could come and have the opportunity to hear both of our kids perform on the same program in two totally different choirs under two totally different directors," Jody said.

The USM choir also presented The Spirit of Southern, its men's a cappella ensemble, and The Southern Belle Tones, its women's a cappella ensemble.

The performance ended with "I Can Tell the World" arranged by Moses Hogan.

Both groups received a standing ovation from the audience.

Share and discuss “Universities unite in song” on social media.