Birds of a feather flock together

Participation in learning communities is becoming an increasingly common way for students to network with one another and facilitate academic success.

The communities are designed to help establish study skills and study groups with students in similar classes.

"Learning communities are a great way for freshmen to get to know Auburn," said Anna Lindsey, senior in agricultural economics and learning community peer instructor. "Coming from a small high school, the learning community made it easier for me to adjust to Auburn's large campus."

Students live with others in their learning community and share classes with these students as well.

"Having familiar faces in classes eases the transition of adjusting to college academic demands and provides them with friends to study with," said Ruthie Payne, learning community coordinator. "The wonderful people all over campus who contribute to the learning community program and the wonderful students who get involved are the reason it works and the reason why we have experienced an increased demand."

Faculty working with learning communities have the option to live in faculty apartments in either the Village or CDV Extension Residence Halls.

Currently, there are three faculty residents living in the Village and one faculty resident living in the CDV Extension.

"One of the great things about being in a learning community is that you are preregistered for classes with the students in your learning community," Lindsey said. "It's a great way to make friends and create study groups."

Incoming freshmen can be preregistered for classes within their learning community at Camp War Eagle.

"Students apply for learning communities before they first attend Auburn," said Mitchell Holston, senior in marketing and Freshman Year Experience staff member. "They are placed into learning communities based on what college they're in, programs they are associated with or subjects they're interested in."

Students in learning communities must take the required courses designated for the learning community.

Also, students are required to complete a one-hour elective class, UNIV, that helps students adjust to college life.

Students are encouraged to participate in nonrequired activities.

"I feel that learning communities help students get to know students of similar interests in an academic environment," Holston said. "The students get to know each other very well and form a relationship that may not have been possible without LCs."

Eleven learning communities are sponsored by their respective college or school. There are also learning communities not designated for specific colleges or school, such as service or campus life.

Upperclassmen have the opportunity to participate in learning communities as well.

"Our goal is to continue to grow as needed in order to provide every incoming student who wishes to participate in a learning community with the opportunity to do so," Payne said.

Share and discuss “Birds of a feather flock together” on social media.