New fitness studio raises Barre

Pure Barre fuses elements of ballet, pilates and weight training in a 55-minute session. (Contributed by Pure barre)

Two residents recently opened a fitness studio promising lifechanging results: Pure Barre.\0xAD

Pure Barre\0xAD is also a 55-minute total workout that combines pilates, ballet and weight training\0xAD.

Before opening the studio in Auburn, co-owner Courtney Treater, resident of Auburn and Samford alumna, was a client at the Birmingham location of Pure Barre.

She and her sister, Kelly Shuman, alumna, had always dreamed of starting a business together.

"We wanted to do something that we really had a passion for, and we've been in sports our whole life," Treater said.

After her third class at the Birmingham studio, Treater fell in love with the workout and persuaded her sister to attend a class as well.

"She instantly loved it too," Treater said, "and we decided, we can do this."

The two sisters fulfilled their dream and opened a Pure Barre studio in Auburn Jan. 24.

The studio is located on Moores Mill Road.

"We have a few college girls who have been coming consistently since we've opened," Treater said. "We've seen a lot of our clients of all ages feeling the difference, and that's what we love seeing."

Khani Fravel, freshman in exercise science, has been attending Pure Barre classes for the past semester.

She has recently experienced a transformation not only in her physique but also in her outlook on working out.

Fravel discovered Pure Barre after chatting with a friend who was a client at the Las Vegas location.

Since the opening of the Auburn location, Fravel has pushed herself to attend a class every day.

"I've lost two inches off my hips, and I've lost an inch off of each arm also," she said.

Fravel said she has found it easier to motivate herself to complete workouts because of the physical results she's received from the Pure Barre classes.

"You have to concentrate so hard on all the moves that you can't really think about anything else, and so it's a really huge stress reliever," she said.

Lauren Maxwell, senior in business management, has also attended Pure Barre for the past semester after learning about the workouts from her roommate.

After trying out the class for herself, Maxwell decided to sign up for monthly classes and currently attends five days a week.

"I'm not a gym person; I'm not motivated enough to make myself do my own workouts, so I like having a class," Maxwell said. "You can tell right away what you're working out and what you're doing."

Treater said clients receive the most benefits from the Pure Barre workout when they attend classes three to four times a week.

Treater also stressed the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle outside of the class.

She said consistency is key to seeing results.

"If you really focus on it and commit yourself to learning the techniques to do it right, there's no way that you can't see results," Treater said.

"I'm not a runner," Maxwell said. "I don't like working out on a machine, so actually being able to use my body to do the workout, I like that."

One Pure Barre class at the studio costs $10 and a monthlong membership costs $100.

Share and discuss “New fitness studio raises Barre” on social media.