New management updates apartments

Auburn Crossing on Wire Road has received renovations and has been renamed The Veranda at Auburn. (Rebekah Weaver / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The apartment complexes Legacy at Auburn, formerly Auburn Trail, and The Veranda at Auburn, formerly Auburn Crossing, are undergoing changes to more than just their names.

According to Madeline Caldwell, resident adviser at Legacy at Auburn, the complex is undergoing extensive renovations, and rent increased by $20 to fund the projects.

Both complexes are under new management, Asset Campus Housing, out of Houston, Texas.

The company manages and develops student housing facilities across the nation.

The previous management was TEJ Properties.

According to Valarie Evans, property manager at The Veranda, new management took over in October and wanted a name change to help create a fresh image for the property.

The changes took place Feb. 17, and the new signs appeared in March.

"Auburn Trails was not the best place to live, and so they wanted to change names and re-do the entire property," Caldwell said. "They're doing all kinds of renovations, like new carpet, new countertops and improving a lot of the amenities."

Caldwell said landscaping improvements are also in the works.

Monique Carlone, junior in animal science and Legacy resident, said she has noticed improvements in the apartments since the new management took over.

"There was a staircase that the old company had just left undone, and people were having to go on the other side of the building to go up the stairs, and they completed that," Carlone said.

Also, an unfinished sidewalk leading to the Tiger Transit stop was recently completed.

Carlone said an improved newsletter, activities for residents and a more passionate staff are other changes she's noticed.

Evans said The Veranda is currently renovating the outside of the complex and has plans to renovate the interior as well.

"There's so many more things I think we will be able to get now with the new management company," Evans said.

Evans said the management has focused on repairing the siding on the buildings and repainting the exterior of the complex.

"They've actually gotten a security guard--like a real one--whereas before the security guard was just some guy who lived there that you would call," Carlone said.

Carlone said the one frustrating aspect of the management change is the implementation of stricter rules.

And, of course, rent hikes: as of March 1, monthly rent at The Veranda has increased $30 to pay for the improvements.

Jennifer Ellis, senior in health administration and resident at The Veranda, said she was unaware of the name change or change in management until she noticed the sign from the road.

"The apartment that I live in is under my mom and dad's name, so they sent something home to them, but we didn't know," Ellis said.

Ellis said tree removal and the presence of more maintenance workers are the improvements she's noticed around the complex so far; however, she has never had a complaint about the complex in her three years living there.

Share and discuss “New management updates apartments” on social media.