Scouts flock to Auburn for Pro Day

Former Auburn defender Nick Fairley runs drills for NFL scouts Tuesday afternoon. (Todd Van Emst / Auburn Media Relations)

For those former Tigers not invited to last week's NFL Scouting Combine, there was one final chance to prove their worth.

Twenty-two former players competed during Tuesday's annual Pro Day, which took a little more than four and a half hours inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"I think we've all talked about it at times," said former center Ryan Pugh. "It's almost like it's four years in one day.

"I don't think it's that intense as far as combining all four years in one day, but it's just a way to fill in the blanks as far as what kind of player you are.

"They get to interact with you and see how you interact with your teammates, and they want to see you compete. I think I did that today. I think we all did that today."

Auburn split workouts into two sessions.

In the first session, groups were separated alphabetically and conducted workouts including 40-yard dash, standing long jumps, vertical jumps, 225-pound bench presses and shuttle cone drills.

"Probably my routes and showing my feet--that's the biggest thing that I think the scouts wanted to see," said former running back Mario Fannin. "Also my hips, I've kind of been stretching them out more and being able to get out of my turns faster and be able to have bursts of speed. I think I did a great job just doing that today."

After those tests were completed, the players then participated in position-specific drills one group at a time.

Groups included kickers, defensive backs, linebackers, running backs, tight ends, offensive linemen, defensive linemen and quarterbacks/wide receivers.

"I didn't feel any pressure," said former quarterback Cameron Newton. "I just wanted to come out here to have fun and compete because that is the name of the game for me. I was out here for a long time just rooting my teammates on.

"I want to see them excel in whatever they were doing. It is fun reuniting with a lot of guys, and that was fun for me. I enjoyed this whole day."

Since NFL owners and players have yet to agree on terms, a lockout might still be possible, although a 2011 without football seems unlikely.

"I think they extended talks because they don't want a lockout," said former linebacker Josh Bynes. "I strongly believe that there won't be one.

"If there is a lockout we are still going to have to do what we need to do because they will still have a draft. I think they will get everything settled so that they can have a season."

The first round of the NFL Draft will take place April 28 followed by the second and third rounds April 29.

"It doesn't really matter what they say," Bynes said. "All that matters is what happens when the draft comes around April 28, 29 and 30.

"You may hear your name called or you might not. The only thing you can do is wait to hear your name called."

Share and discuss “Scouts flock to Auburn for Pro Day” on social media.