Shooters don't stand a chance

Although the active shooter exercise that took place on campus March 17 was role-played by actors, law enforcement treated the situation as if it were a real scenario.

The exercise aimed to provide training for campus and local law enforcement regarding responsiveness during an emergency.

"The exercise was set up to evaluate several aspects of the command, coordination and response of law enforcement to an incident," said Chance Corbett, associate director of Auburn University's department of public safety and security/emergency management.

"The officers were able to work through their response and understand that things can happen quickly and also understand how important being prepared for this type of an emergency can be."

The areas around the Haley Center, Student Center and Village View Dining areas were involved in the active shooter exercise.

"The various buildings utilized in the training offered different logistical challenges as to deployment of manpower and other resource allocations," said Melvin Owens, director of security and public safety.

Students were notified of the exercise through email, announcements and signs in the areas of the exercise.

"Agencies had a chance to practice in a controlled environment and then evaluate effectiveness of plans already in place and make adjustments as needed," Owens said.

The last exercise of this kind was practiced Dec. 16, 2009.

According to Tommy Dawson, police chief, the results of the 2009 exercise allowed enforcement to improve tactics for dealing with an active shooter.

"The officials who participated in the exercise learned to expect the unexpected," Dawson said.

The March 17 simulation showed improvements since the last simulation.

"We will be coming together to list each area of improvement and also any areas that may need additional training, equipment or procedural changes," Corbett said.

A similar exercise focusing on different topics is scheduled for July and September 2011.

"We did find a few things to work on," Dawson said. "It is not worth doing something like this if you don't learn anything."

Police officers were stationed in all areas of the exercise to ensure safety for all.

"We plan for such emergencies," Corbett said. "However, we feel that we need to also set up scenarios that drill the actions and procedures of the response agencies...and to also reveal any corrective actions."

According to Corbett, the responders took the exercise seriously to produce accurate results.

The results of the exercise will help responders to evaluate and improve their quick thinking and decision making.

"I really do appreciate Chance Corbett and the Auburn police with their help to make this exercise a success," Dawson said. "We are diligently working to keep the students and faculty safe at all times."

Participating groups included Auburn University, police, fire department, East Alabama EMS, Opelika police, Lee County Sheriff and Lee County EMA.

Share and discuss “Shooters don't stand a chance” on social media.