Strike up the band!

Daniel Johnson stands in front of Jordan-Hare stadium where he will lead the band next football season. (Emily Adams / Photo Editor)

Ditch the "band nerd" stereotype; this fall Daniel Johnson, junior in biomedical science, will be one of the most popular people in Auburn.

He traded in his former position as assistant drum major for the Auburn University Marching Band's most prestigious role, head drum major.

"I feel a sense of responsibility to do my absolute best in this position," Johnson said.

Most may know the head drum major as "the guy who throws the stick in the ground at the beginning of football games," but Johnson said it requires more than that.

"We direct the marching band during games and rehearsals," Johnson said. "We do behind-the-scenes work like organizing who plays at pep rallies, sending emails to new members and working with the directors and graduate assistants."

Johnson received his title at the end of the last marching season after auditioning with 15-20 of his fellow band members.

Johnson said the requirements included being a member of the band and participating in first and second round interviews.

The interviews included conducting a rehearsal, performing a field entrance and going through the mace routine.

"There was no doubt in my mind he would make drum major," said Sarah Collins, sophomore in human development and family studies and freshman band orientation leader. "He's very, very dependable, and the students, GTAs and Dr. Spurlin recognized that he would make a great ambassador for the band program."

Johnson said he knew he wanted to apply between his junior and senior year of high school, but talked himself out of it because he wanted to march instead.

"Then when one of my good friends got it I thought, 'Maybe I should have tried out,'" he said. "It worked out for me last year."

Now that he has received the title, Johnson said he is already feeling the weight of the position.

"I feel like since more and more people recognize I am the new head drum major it puts a little more pressure on me to do well in the position," Johnson said.

However, Johnson is used to juggling different responsibilities.

Not only is he head drum major, but he is also a student recruiter and member of two honor societies, Kappa Kappa Psi and Phi Kappa Phi.

"Daniel is an extremely well-rounded person," Collins said. "He's also a really dependable guy; whenever he's asked to do something, he follows through."

Johnson said he's always been active.

He started playing drums when he was five after his mom noticed him using Tickertoys as drum sticks.

Shortly after he started taking lessons and picked up the French horn in 6th grade.

Even with all of Johnson's tasks, he still tries to find some time for himself.

He said he likes to relax and watch SportsCenter.

"I like to do as little as possible," Johnson said.

Share and discuss “Strike up the band!” on social media.