Warning: Big Brother may be watching

Placed at undisclosed locations around campus, security cameras are the eyes of the Auburn University Department of Public Safety and Security.

Although their locations and numbers are unknown, many may have spotted the black domes in parking lots and computer labs.

Randal Cerovsky, associate director of public safety, said they have assisted public safety in solving crimes.

"Several times [guards] have seen or done a quick playback on it and been able to give out vehicles description so police know who to look for," Cerovsky said. "There have been several good cases when they've assisted in the apprehension of people."

The cameras record activity in the surrounding areas and project the image back to the department of public safety building.

Guards watch three monitors 24 hours a day, seven days a week, looking for suspicious activity.

"The cameras are set on tours and groups, and they will go through all the different recording just in case they see something out of the ordinary," Cerovsky said. "They report it immediately, and the police respond and take over the situation."

Cerovsky said what constitutes suspicious activity varies by guard, but generally they use their common sense.

"They look at several different things," Cerovsky said. "If they see the same car go through the parking lot three or four times or the same car in three or four different parking lots, that is the type stuff they are looking for. They are looking at several things on the camera."

Cerovsky said they have used the records in court several times.

Depending on the type of camera, the guards are able to look at one scene from various angles.

Fixed cameras can only record what's right in front of it, but Pan, Tilt, Zoom cameras, which are the kind seen in the domes, it can cycle through points of focus.

However, Melvin Owens, executive director of public safety and security, said PTZ cameras are more costly to maintain than fixed cameras.

To make sure their cameras are working properly, a camera group looks at the systems every week.

In the future, Owens said they would like to continue to maintain and improve their security camera system.

"It's like computers; you get them this week, and they have a newer version out next week," Owens said. "So as we go forward it will require the revamping of cameras, so as it gets more high tech, we will make changes."

Share and discuss “Warning: Big Brother may be watching” on social media.