Boogie in Waverly

Magician Dewayne Reynolds of dRmagic makes balloon shapes at the 280 Boogie in Waverly Saturday. (Emily Adams / Photo Editor)

An estimated 1,600 people boogied to Waverly Saturday afternoon to enjoy the 11th annual arts and music festival.

Seven bands performed, and approximately 15 vendors showcased various art from wood carvings to pottery to hula hoops at the Old 280 Boogie.

Folding chairs and colorful blankets transformed the space in front of the stage into a patchwork quilt, threaded together with people from all walks of life.

For the first time in its history, the festival cost $10 to enter. The event was also confined to the property of Standard Deluxe, a design and silkscreen print shop owned by Scott Peek.

Peek said he was pleased with how the changes affected the event, especially since this was the first year that the bands profited.

"It was just more professionally run, and we were more organized this year," Peek said.

Rob Davis, junior in hotel and restaurant management and second-time visitor, said the $10 price tag made him think twice about coming back.

"But I still ended up here," Davis said. "I love to go crazy and dance in front of the stage like an idiot and drag people from the ground and make everybody get up and dance with me."

Daniel Hayes and his wife Tammy were selling handmade pottery at the event for the third year in a row.

"I think it was more toward what he (Peek) was looking for," Daniel said. "It's a really friendly, tight-knit crowd."

Share and discuss “Boogie in Waverly” on social media.