Generation Auburn provides a different kind of worship

Eric Savage had a vision--he wanted to help students with issues in a new way, apart from the usual campus ministries, church organizations and adult counseling services.

Savage, freshman in entrepreneurship, said he realized this vision last semester and ended up as a founding member of Generation Auburn.

"It's by students, for students, and I think that's the best thing it has going for it," said Taylor Salter, freshman in business.

The group has not reached out for any adult help so far, and the founders said they plan on keeping it that way.

"It's different coming to an adult with a problem you have than coming to someone who is your own age," Salter said.

Generation Auburn offers not only spiritual guidance, but emotional as well.

"If you got broken up with or someone in your family passes away, you aren't just sitting in your dorm room alone," Savage said. "There are people who will listen."

Salter said the group is for those who are "freaked out" about church.

"We aren't condescending if someone comes in who is not a believer," Savage said. "We want more people to come so we can empower them to help others."

Generation Auburn is different than most church groups.

"It's more appealing to those who are tired of the formalities of church," said Benjamin Hoefling, freshman in marine biology and member of the organization. "We always keep in mind how we can make it different."

One way that the group branches out from normal campus ministries is their inclusion of secular elements.

"We started last week's meeting with a John Mayer cover," Savage said. "It's not just another campus ministry."

Another way the group stays secular is by meeting at a fraternity house: Farmhouse.

The decision to meet at Farmhouse was an easy one, Hoefling said.

"Myself and a few other people are members of Farmhouse, and they have been so helpful with getting everything ready for the meetings," Hoefling said.

Savage said he started formulating his idea in November and spent winter break getting his team together and cementing his plans.

At its first meeting, 37 people attended.

"We're definitely trying to get more people," Savage said.

But getting more people to come to the meetings isn't about just having a bigger crowd.

"You can never have enough help," Savage said. "We need people who are good at writing and graphic design and can use their talents in a totally positive way."

The group meets Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

Share and discuss “Generation Auburn provides a different kind of worship” on social media.