Going green pays off

Nathan Warner, junior in ecological engineering, was awarded the Morris K. and Stewart L. Udall scholarship. (Rebekah Weaver / Assistant Photo Editor)

After a year of perfecting his application, hours of dedicated research and serving in several leadership roles, Nathan Warner was selected for a $5,000 Morris K. and Stewart L. Udall Scholarship for Excellence in National Environmental Policy.

"The Udall scholarship was established to promote and encourage environmental stewardships," said Paul Harris, associate professor and associate director of the University Honors College. "It is given to undergrads who have demonstrated a commitment to protecting our nation's heritage and natural resources."

Warner, junior in ecological engineering, was one of 80 scholars chosen from across the nation out of 600 applicants.

"A successful Udall scholar has not only good grades--a 3.6 GPA or above--but they've demonstrated leadership on and off campus in activities that promote environmental sustainability," Harris said. "They must also demonstrate undergraduate research in their respective major."

Warner is president of the Auburn Sustainability Action Program, co-founder of Engineers Without Borders and engineering representative for the Committee of 19.

"I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to make Auburn and the world better," Warner said, "whatever I can do to link the environment to people."

The next part of the application involved obtaining recommendations from Warner's superiors.

"He had to have three letters of recommendation from faculty members or individuals who know his work in environmental sustainability, each one detailed and two pages long," Harris said. "Then he had to obtain an institutional endorsement from me."

Harris said he got to know Warner after working with him.

"He exemplifies our Auburn creed, especially as someone who does hard work," Harris said. "He is dedicated to making the world a better place."

Matt Williams, program manager in the Office of Sustainability, has worked with Warner since he was a freshman.

"I enjoy working with Nathan because he is organized and passionate," Warner said. "He deserves this award because he is able to make it his mission to do what the scholarship is about."

The final step for Warner's application was a series of essay questions on environmental issues.

"Nathan began working on his essays back in November because it is a lengthy process," Harris said. "He had to address the problems and provide realistic solutions."

Warner said he has always had a passion for the environment.

"I watched 'An Inconvenient Truth' in high school, and it opened my eyes to all the possibilities," Warner said. "I want to find out what my role on Earth is and what I can do to make it better."

Warner said he already has plans for his $5,000.

"I'm going to India for a study abroad internship during June and July," Warner said. "The class will focus on culture, environment and public health, and then I will work with an organization on these matters."

Warner and Harris both said they hope his success will encourage more students to apply for prestigious scholarships.

Warner also has high hopes for the sustainability movement at Auburn.

"We have so much potential and interest," Warner said. "I just hope we can grow and cooperate a little bit more."

Share and discuss “Going green pays off” on social media.