I came in as a kid, I leave as a journalist

During my time at The Plainsman, I've become well-acquainted with life and death.

I've written stories about interesting people who live their lives to the fullest, people who dedicate their lives to causes most of us don't understand, people who made bad choices and people whose lives were cut short.

Each story I've written, each person I've interviewed and each event I've been to has taught me something valuable.

Covering events like the Syrup Sopping Festival, the Lee County Fair and Pope's Haunted Farm showed me how pleasantly simple and enjoyable life can be.

Covering the Victoryland gambling scandal was my first exposure to corruption.

Breaking news events like a train wreck and a shooting taught me life is fragile--tragedy can strike at any second.

Talking to Forrest Tussey about playing guitar, Mr. Penny about his love for Auburn football and Victoria Gulley about guns and showed me everyone is passionate about something.

An article about a controversial bar fight taught me to always get all sides of the story. Sometimes it isn't what it looks like. Sometimes it is.

Harvey Updyke taught me that some people just need attention, no matter if it's good or bad. I also learned the Auburn spirit isn't a tangible thing embodied in two trees.

Courtney Lockhart's trial made me think for a long time about how everything isn't simply black and white. Watching a murderer's mother and a victim's father for a week makes you think about the gray area--people who kill people are still people--people who made a terrible choice.

The death of Isiah "Buddy Ball" Thomas and my interactions with his brother, Silas, gave me a window into the world of those we so often take for granted or ignore completely.

Dean James Foy's death was a reminder that death isn't always sad. He will forever be memorialized in the hearts of thousands after living a life full of love and purpose.

However, Dean Marie Wooten's untimely death rocked me into the sad reality of our world.

I never met her, but after learning about her from so many after her death, I mourned the loss of such a wonderful person.

Every article I write is someone else's story. Some are sad, and some are happy, but they're all poignantly human.

As a journalist, my job is to tell stories, but my passion is hearing them.

Giving people the opportunity to talk about their achievements, their family members who have passed away, their side to a controversial story or how they feel after a verdict is issued is what brings me the greatest satisfaction.

Everyone has something to say, and I get to help them tell their stories.

And to my wonderful, cooky Plainsman family, don't forget what we've learned here from each other and from our stories.

No matter what you do in life, do it Plainsman style--with a spirit that is not afraid.

Share and discuss “I came in as a kid, I leave as a journalist” on social media.