Poli-sci professor a pro at politics

Steven Brown, professor of political science, is respected by students for his unique method of teaching. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

They take our money. They regulate our actions. They make us wear seat belts. They even decide the type of water we use for our morning shower.

"Everything is affected by law and government at the local, state and national level from the time we get up to the time we go to bed," said Steven Brown, professor in political science. "We send people to Washington, D.C., we send them to Montgomery and even here in Auburn to make decisions for us, and when we don't know or care what they do, it's not good for our democracy."

With new wars starting, Brown said he believes involvement and understanding how government works is more essential now than ever.

"We of all people need to be aware and involved with how our leaders are doing," Brown said.

Brown has taught at Auburn since 1998, and he has a rich background in the field of political science.

"Dr. Steve Brown is totally dedicated to his students," said Gerard Gryski, chair of the department of political science. "He has won every available teaching award, yet somehow maintains his humility."

Brown graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in political science before pursuing his master's and doctorate in government with an emphasis in public law from the University of Virginia.

After graduation, Brown went straight to Capitol Hill and worked for two years as an aide to a senator.

While working in D.C., Brown helped with a number of issues including the Structural Impediments Initiative, which involved major trade disputes between Japan and the United States.

"It was a great experience," Brown said.

Since then, Brown has added to his impressive resume. In 2005, his book "Trumping Religion: The New Christian Right, The Free Speech Clause and the Courts" received the National Communication Association's Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression.

Brown was also awarded the National Faculty of the Year award by the National Society of Collegiate Scholars in 2006.

Brown currently teaches courses in American constitutional law, religion, politics and American government.

"Dr. Brown's class is great because he makes learning about the 14th amendment enjoyable," said Ashley Baxter, junior in political science and student in one of Brown's constitutional law classes. "We have class discussions about a variety of civil liberty cases which helps us understand the material better."

Many of Brown's students say his experiences and immense knowledge shows through his lectures.

"He knows his subjects better than any other teacher I've come across," said Megan McIllwain, senior in political science. "He carries around a copy of the Constitution in his shirt pocket to pull out whenever he needs it. He's tough and expects a lot out of his students, but he's very engaging, knowledgeable and just an all-around great professor."

Brown said politics is something that has interested him since he was a child.

"I have always been fascinated by politics," Brown said. "I can remember just as a little boy watching the 1972 presidential election on television and in '76 listening to different presidential candidates on the radio and television."

While Brown said he has enjoyed his 13 years as a professor, he is eager to get back to working in the field.

"I had never thought of myself as staying a professor for 20 or 30 years," Brown said. "I don't see myself staying here, even though I really love it a lot. I would like to get back into Washington and pursue some things."

Share and discuss “Poli-sci professor a pro at politics” on social media.