Professor honored by Bama

Ed Williams, professor of journalism, was recognized by the University of Alabama as an outstanding alumnus. (Emily Adams / photo editor)

Ed Williams, professor of journalism, has mentored and helped journalism students reach their highest potential for 28 years.

Williams was awarded the University of Alabama Outstanding Alumnus of the year award in journalism.

"The University of Alabama award came 35 years after I graduated, and I was surprised and humbled," Williams said. "But hearing from former students that I've known during my 28 years at Auburn, that's the very best kind of award there is."

Williams has been part of the journalism faculty for 28 years, and in those years he has mentored many students who have moved on to become experts in the field.

"The thing that stood out to (our committee) most with Ed is he had such an impact on the field of journalism in Alabama and beyond because of the work he had done at The Plainsman," said Jennifer Greer, chairwoman of the University of Alabama department of journalism.

Williams was the faculty adviser for The Plainsman for 23 years and has taught many classes in the journalism department, including JRNL 1100, or Newspaper Fundamentals, an introductory course to journalism.

"The award speaks to Ed's commitment to journalism excellence through his 23 years as the adviser for The Plainsman and his continued commitment to excellent teaching in our program," said Jennifer Adams, associate professor in the department of communication and journalism.

Alabama's faculty chooses recipient of the award--an alumnus who has received his or her undergraduate or master's degree from the program.

The recipient must have distinguished himself or herself in the field of journalism and had an impact on a multitude of people, Greer said.

Williams has received many emails and Facebook posts from his former students thanking him for the impact he has had on them as journalists.

"In just a few minutes, I started getting emails and Facebook messages from former students, congratulating me and sharing memories of JRNL 1100 and The Auburn Plainsman when I was the adviser," Williams said.

"Some of them didn't even know that I graduated from Alabama."

Williams' former students have sent him congratulatory messages after hearing about the award.

"I can honestly say that I don't know where I would be today without the guidance you gave me," said Miranda Mattheis, marketing communications specialist for Alfa Insurance and former managing editor of The Plainsman, in an email to Williams. "Of all the people I met during my time at Auburn, you had the most impact on shaping me as a person and a professional."

To give this award to someone who has had such an impact in the state and at Auburn is an honor, Greer said.

"In his 28 years on the journalism faculty, many alumni say Ed was the quiet force who inspired and guided them on their paths into the field of journalism," Adams said. "It is always an honor to be recognized by one's alma mater, but I can think of no one who is more deserving of this award than Ed Williams."

Share and discuss “Professor honored by Bama” on social media.