Proposed bills would be a drag for smokers

Two bills before the state House of Representatives will monitor smoking and tobacco use if passed.

The first would raise the tax on cigarettes to 75 cents per pack from the current 42.5 cents.

"I support it because obviously we want people to stop smoking, and one way to do that is to raise the price of how much they have to pay to get cigarettes," said Rep. Patricia Todd, D-Jefferson, the sponsor of the bill. "Most people start smoking when they're teenagers. If we can stop them from starting smoking, the better off we're going to be."

Todd said the bill would raise more than $200 million for the general fund.

The bill is currently in the Ways and Means General Fund committee.

"I think the problem with my bill is a lot of Republicans took a pledge of no new taxes, and they're hesitant to raise any taxes, even if it is a sin tax," Todd said. "That's the challenge I have before me--to convince them this is a good tax that will actually help people in Alabama contribute to the general fund and help people stop smoking."

The second bill, which is in the Health committee, would prohibit smoking in any public building and would require smokers to be 15 feet from the doorway.

It would also ban smoking at outdoor public events, including sporting events.

"Secondhand smoke is cancer-causing," said Rep. Mary Sue McClurkin, R-Jefferson and Shelby. "It causes all kinds of respiratory problems, and people should have the right to breathe clean air and not be exposed to smoke."

McClurkin, the bill's sponsor, said many cities and counties in Alabama already have a smoking ban.

An ordinance passed in November 2003 prohibits smoking in Auburn's public buildings, including restaurants and retail stores.

"I support protecting people against secondhand smoke and smoke in public places, be it restaurants, bars, whatever," said Mayor Bill Ham. "It would be in keeping with what we're already doing."

With one bill sponsored by a Democrat and the other by a Republican, legislators are reaching across the aisle on the topic of smoking, Ham said.

"On this particular issue, it addresses health concerns, and obviously that's not a partisan issue," Ham said.

"While the ObamaCare bill was painted as a partisan issue, smoking in public places I don't think is partisan. I think it's just generally trying to protect those that are having to be subjected to smoking."

Share and discuss “Proposed bills would be a drag for smokers” on social media.