Summer concerts blast boredom away

Music enthusiasts will rejoice when three outdoor concert series swing into action in May.

The Sundown Concert Series will provide free entertainment and feature local and regional musicians every Thursday evening at Town Creek Park.

"It's a good family-oriented concert and series to get families out and enjoy local music," said Emily Dent, agricultural communications major.

Dent worked the event for the city when it was held at Kiesel Park.

She said more than 100 people are usually in attendance at the concert series, and sometimes the number of attendees reaches 300.

Meg Rainey, public relations specialist for the parks and recreation department, said Town Creek Park is a convenient location to hold the concert.

"It's a great park--very central to downtown," Rainey said."It's very easy to get there after work or school. They can just bring a picnic and enjoy the music."

Many people like to take advantage of the park's trails and go for walks before and after the concert, Rainey said.

She said with any event, the parks and recreation department tries to showcase the different park facilities throughout the city.

"We don't host all of our events at one location because we want to highlight all of the different facilities so citizens get to enjoy them," Rainey said.

Rainey said these types of events appeal to a variety of community groups.

She said attending the concert series would be a way for students to relax after finishing up the spring semester.

Bands featured in the concert series include Crossroads Band, County Road 12, Summer Breeze and Satin Soul.

"It's good to hear live music in a great setting like a park," said Will Mooty, Summer Breeze band member.

The concert being held at a reasonable time of day, 6 p.m., allows a broader range of people to enjoy live music, Mooty said.

Mooty said a lot of his friends are bringing picnics to the event.

Summer Swing's Spring 2011 Noon Tunes, a free lunchtime concert series on Courthouse Square in Opelika, will be held Wednesdays throughout May from noon to 1 p.m.

"I think it's a great opportunity for citizens of Opelika to be able to have lunch on the square and enjoy the nice weather we're finally having," said Brittany Campbell, Cottage Cafe employee.

John Henley, owner of the restaurant Breezeway, said the concerts would support downtown businesses.

Bands that will play at Noon Tunes include Mike and Dave, Martha's Trouble, MD 20/20 and Muse.

Barbara Kent, Opelika parks and recreation department special activities coodinator, said NoonTunes was started with the help of a small grant from the Alabama State Council on the Arts about five years ago.

Kent said the event was formed with the idea to promote Opelika's downtown area.

Summer Swing Concerts in the Park, which will begin May 3, is another concert opportunity in Opelika.

"Summer Swing is just an incredible community event," Kent said. "It's free to the public. Each week the concert is a little different."

The Opelika parks and recreation department will host the concerts Tuesdays at 7 p.m. at Municipal Park in Opelika.

"It's just an event people come to and bring a chair and throw out a quilt on the bank of the creek," Kent said.

Kent also said people of every age attend the event.

Types of music that will be featured include gospel, jazz, R&B, praise and worship, oldies, country, swing, folk, big band and community band music.

Opelika Band Boosters will sell hamburgers and hotdogs for a low price, and profits will benefit the Opelika High School band.

RBC Bank of Opelika will provide free lemonade.

Kent said the Rocky Brook Rocket, a vintage train, is a unique feature of the park and will appeal to families.

"Parents and grandparents that rode the Rocky Brook Rocket as children will get on with their children," he said.

Mooty said he appreciated all of the concerts being offered in the Auburn-Opelika area.

"I love these types of series," he said.

Share and discuss “Summer concerts blast boredom away” on social media.