Winning the Goldwater

Emily Brennan, junior in animal science and president of Auburn's rowing team, was awarded the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, a National Prestigious Scholarship. (Maria iampietro / associate photo editor)

She is president of the rowing team, ambassador to the College of Agriculture and is setting her sights on veterinary school--all while whipping up smoothies at Smoothie King--but now Emily Brennan can add a National Prestigious Scholarship to her resume.

Brennan, junior in animal science, was recently awarded the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, given to sophomores and juniors who intend on holding careers in mathematics, natural sciences and engineering.

"I didn't expect it, but I was really excited when I found out that I won," Brennan said. "When you are involved in research, that is the one type of recognition you can get from it."

Each university can nominate four undergraduate students to apply for the award.

The scholarship is valued at $7,500 toward educational expenses.

About 300 Goldwater scholarships are given each year to students at colleges and universities all across the country. This year, there were 278 recipients of the scholarship.

"You don't just come and apply," said Paul Harris, Auburn's associate director of National Prestigious Scholarships. "It takes months of preparation to get prepared for these scholarships; the recommendation letters are very lengthy."

Along with the Goldwater, the National Prestigious Scholarships consist of the Udall, Truman, Rhodes, Gates Cambridge and the Fulbright scholarships.

"The fact that Emily is in animal science, but doing research in biology, is what made her such a strong candidate for the award," Harris said.

Geoffrey Hill, professor of biological sciences, has worked with Brennan in the lab for three years.

"Emily has the rare combination of smarts while also being high energy," Hill said. "She channels these qualities correctly; she uses her intelligence and energy to get a lot of stuff done."

Brennan has been conducting research on bird pathogens and whether birds can transfer disease resistance through their eggs, Hill said.

Brennan will now be working on gene expression in adult birds.

"Because Emily is the president of the rowing team and an agricultural ambassador, I am hoping she will be a strong candidate for the Rhodes Scholarship next year," Harris said.

Last year, Auburn student David Harris won the Goldwater Scholarship and became a Gates Cambridge Scholarship recipient this year.

Also, in 2008, Auburn had another Goldwater winner in Anne Marie Hodge, who went on to receive a National Science Foundation scholarship of $100,000 the next year.

Brennan, from Jacksonville, Fla., visited Auburn after she told her high school guidance counselor about her desire to be a veterinarian.

She said she then fell in love with Auburn after the visit.

"If I have enough endurance, I want to go to vet school and then continue going on with my research and get a Ph.D.," Brennan said.

Share and discuss “Winning the Goldwater” on social media.