Playing or coaching, Jarrett succeeds

Link Jarrett, Auburn baseball's assistant coach

Three College World Series appearances, five years with the Colorado Rockies organization and an assistant coaching job for a Southeastern Conference baseball team might be more than any little boy could dream of.

Link Jarrett, Auburn baseball's assistant coach, is living that dream.

Growing up, Jarrett was surrounded with strong baseball influences beginning with his father who played baseball at Florida State University.

Jarrett said he also gives credit to his high school and college coaches for helping him through his baseball career.

"Between my dad and my high school and college coaches, I always enjoyed the game and watching the game and learning the game," Jarrett said, "I think that's kind of where I developed my desire to coach one day."

Before coaching, Jarrett followed in his father's footsteps and played baseball at Florida State.

Jarrett continued his baseball career when he was drafted by the Colorado Rockies.

"After my fifth year playing, I said 'we're going to start a family,' and I felt like I was as good at baseball as I was going to be." Jarrett said.

Jarrett turned his focus to coaching. After being offered two high school coaching jobs, he received a call from an athletic director about a full-time assistant coaching position at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Fla.

"That moment, I got in my car and drove three and a half hours, and that changed it for me," Jarrett said.

From there, Jarrett went from college to college until he ended up here in Auburn.

"As an assistant coach, sometimes you need to continue to move and experience different conferences and different coaches and different things" Jarrett said.

Jarrett said that the job at Auburn presented him with a lot of good things.

"I thought the people in Auburn, both in the community and in the athletic department, were so classy and so welcoming," Jarrett said. "Everything from a family perspective was great."

Jarrett said he is inspired most by the Auburn baseball players.

"Their work ethic, watching those guys grind it out and improve, when I watch those guys have a desire to work and get better that means a lot to me," Jarrett said.

Jarrett said that some of his players were able to sign professionally last year, but came back to school.

"Those guys putting it on the line, and they way they work at it, they inspire me quite a bit," Jarrett said. "They've been kind of a pillar that we've leaned on this season and provided us a lot of stability, and I'm very proud of what they've accomplished so far."

"Coach Jarrett is a high energy, very focused individual," Auburn senior first baseman Kevin Patterson said. "He's very positive, and he always brings a good attitude."

"I've played under him for two years, and he's always upbeat." Patterson said.

Justin Hargett, senior second baseman, said Jarrett shows a lot of confidence in his players and is never negative.

"I give him credit," Patterson said. "He's a great person and a great coach. He's consistent."

Share and discuss “Playing or coaching, Jarrett succeeds” on social media.