Cleaner rides for students

Transit bus driver, Edward Meek, pushes the ignition button in one of the hybrid buses ( Alex Sager / PHOTO EDITOR)

Going green is more than a trend at Auburn University. It's also being implemented in many modes of transportation around campus.

Efforts by Auburn University to leave a smaller carbon footprint are both diverse and ambitious.

At the forefront of the advances is the Tiger Transit bus system.

The service added six hybrid buses to its fleet in August.

Like the other Tiger Transit buses, they have a regeneration system in place which reuses emissions.

All Tiger Transit buses meet federal emissions standards.

Hybrid Tiger Transit buses look just like the other 49 Tiger Transit buses around campus, but come with a heftier price tag.

They each cost about $181,000, according to Rex Huffman, manager of transit services.

Nonhybrid buses cost about $143,000.

All Tiger Transit buses are replaced within five years or upon reaching125,000 miles - whichever comes first.

Because of their increased costs, the six hybrid buses on campus are expected to be replaced with hybrids but other Tiger Transit buses on campus are not.

All of the buses currently run on diesel gas, although alternative fuel sources, such as natural gas, are being considered.

The Office of Sustainability is also doing its part to help the campus become more environmentally friendly.

"We're trying to start to work on other ways people can essentially attend college without having to have their own car or use their car on a daily basis," said Matthew Williams, program director of the Office of Sustainability.

Projects the office is currently working on include making transportation around Auburn less costly and more sustainable for the environment.

"Our office exists to help the campus develop an ethic of practice of the discipline of sustainability, develop that sense of shared responsibility for each other and for the future, and to help develop leaders," said Mike Kensler, director of the Office of Sustainability. "People leave Auburn as capable, responsible individuals who contribute to the greater good of society, and part of that is understanding the principles and practices of sustainability."

Sustainability is defined by the office as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

"Part of what we do is educate people about what the choices are and then (another) part of what we do is make some of the other choices available to people," said Matthew Williams, program director of the Office of Sustainability.

Student Affairs and the Office of Sustainability are looking to bring a car-sharing program to campus. It will be a short-term rental service available to all students. An hourly rate will be charged for the service that includes gas, insurance, cleaning, maintenance and the rental of the vehicle. The new service should be available by the beginning of the fall semester.

"There's one other new transportation thing coming this fall. It's the 'Gotcha Ride.'" Kensler said. "It is an electric vehicle that gives students a free ride anywhere they want to go within a mile and a half of central campus. It's a zero-emission vehicle, and it cuts down on the need for a student to have their own vehicle."

Gotcha stands for Green-Operated Transit Carrying Humanity Around. The company, which operates on advertising revenue, was started by two Florida State University graduates in 2009. The Gotcha transit will be able to carry five passengers along with the driver.

"I think it's really important for our entire campus to go green," said Megan Atwood, junior in human development and family studies. "Pollution affects not only our environment, but also our health."

Students interested in the Office of Sustainability can get involved by sending an email to sustain@auburm/edu or by visiting the website at auburn.edu/sustainability.

Share and discuss “Cleaner rides for students” on social media.