Farming, farmers' markets a family tradition for some

Harrison and Peggy Bryce sell produce to customers at the Opelika farmers' market. (Natalie Yarid / NEWS EDITOR)

During the summer months, warm weather and a common interest bring people together.

Family and friends alike have gathered in downtown Opelika for their common interest, local farming.

Harrison and Peggy Bryce are witnesses and participants of this gathering.

The Bryces have been farming together for 50 years. Harrison initially had the idea, and Peggy encouraged expansion and increasing the variety of foods on the farm.

Harrison worked with the horticulture department at Auburn University for more than 20 years, and Peggy worked for the AU Bookstore for 15 years.

After the couple retired from the University, they began solely focusing on the Bryce Farm.

The Bryce farm is located in Salem, approximately 10 miles from Opelika.

The Bryces look forward to selling their fruits and vegetables at the Opelika farmers' market each summer.

They said the people are friendly and they love the environment.

The Opelika farmers' market has been around for many years, but this year it has a new location.

The market will now be located at the Opelika Courthouse square.

Pam Powers-Smith, director of Opelika Main Street, said the change of location, from South Railroad Avenue to the Courthouse square, will offer a more relaxed environment.

"There are no lines and the parking is really easy," Powers-Smith said.

Powers-Smith said she hopes the market will bring more shopping to downtown Opelika.

The market is held every Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., and usually lasts through the beginning of August.

It is a cash-only market. The proceeds go directly to each farmer, and a small percentage goes toward advertisement for the market.

Each week different farmersshow up to sell their locally-grown items.

There are farmers from Montgomery, Georgia, Auburn and many other areas.

In the last two weeks, the market has brought in the annual regulars, but, as more foods are ready to be picked and sold, a more diverse group of farmers will provide a larger variety of produce.

Like most of the farmers, Bryce picked his produce Tuesday morning before arrival, in order to provide the customers with the freshest food possible.

The intentions of the market are to help local farmers, but the community benefits from it as well.

"It is a very cyclical process," Powers-Smith said. "We help one another. We support local farmers, and they help the customers in return."

Local farming produces more fresh items and produce without chemicals.

"While students are out in Tiger Town, we are hopeful they will drop by and enjoy the market," Powers-Smith said.

Share and discuss “Farming, farmers' markets a family tradition for some” on social media.