Get off Facebook & Twitter, start living your life

Facebook, sometimes I wish I knew how to quit you.

With more people joining our society's favorite social networking site every day, it's become apparent that several do not understand what the site should be used for.

Ladies and gentlemen, Facebook is not a private diary and should not be used as such.

I don't care to know what you're doing every second of the day; it makes me feel like I'm a creeper and that's just while scrolling through the Newsfeed.

While I enjoy keeping tabs on people who live too far away for me to see often, I do not believe it is necessary to post an update every single time something happens in your life.

Yes, your profile is your business and we all have the option to hide people in our newsfeeds.

You're entitled to freedom of speech, and we're entitled to hiding someone who posts every thirty minutes.

We don't have to read every single time a friend makes a post asking for assistance in reaching the next level of whatever game they happen to be addicted to.

It's not that I have anything against playing games on Facebook, so long as it's done in moderation.

I'm just not interested in seeing pictures of your virtual Aqua Pets, nor do I care if you need more supplies to build a virtual chicken coop for your virtual farm.

On its statistics webpage, Facebook boasts more than 500 million users and claims that people spend more than 700 billion minutes per month on the site.

By that info, one could guesstimate that the average person spends about roughly 1,400 minutes or 23.33 hours on Facebook a month.

I don't have a personal vendetta against Facebook and all who use it.

I check mine on a daily basis, first while drinking my morning coffee and again several times throughout the rest of the day.

I'm all for social networking and reconnecting with old friends, as well as keeping in touch with new ones.

I just feel that there are better ways to spend your time than spending it glued to a computer several hours a day.

While I'm at it, whatever happened to face-to-face interaction?

Since when is having a group of people over and spending the entire time locked to their individual laptops or constantly texting considered socialization?

Can we step away from technology for a little while and actually do something that requires interaction?

Yes, times have changed and people have changed the way they interact with others.

A decade or so ago, people actually communicated in person.

Now, instead of going and talking to people face-to-face, interaction via computer has become the norm.

I don't see anything wrong with using technology to communicate, but I don't think it should be the only way in which we communicate.

Ultimately, it's your life and you should live it the way you see fit.

If you would rather spend all of your free time glued to a screen, then by all means do whatever makes you happy.

Personally, I would rather live mine away from my laptop.

I believe in the simple philosophy that life is meant to be lived, in that life is best experienced as a participant and not just as a spectator.

You can take the passive option of watching from the sidelines and idle away countless hours of your life on the computer.

Or you can actually go out and live it.

Share and discuss “Get off Facebook & Twitter, start living your life” on social media.