Auburn-themed hip-hop song creates noise on the Plains

Francisco Aihe (left) and A.J. Greene write and produce songs in their home studio. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

A new anthem may be buzzing in Jordan-Hare Stadium this football season.

Francisco Aihe, former Auburn basketball player, and A.J. Greene, current Auburn football player, have partnered to create some new tunes for the Auburn family.

"Aihe is very passionate about his music," said Kala Bolton, senior in English and journalism and friend of the musicians. "It's his true love."

Aihe and Greene met three years ago in acting class at Auburn. They were inspired to produce an album by rapper Wiz Khalifa's visit to Auburn this spring.

The most recent collaboration between the two is "Orange Navy Anthem."

"The song is about the new season," Aihe said. "It started because of Auburn's undefeated National Championship season. It is like hip-hop mixed with dubstep, and electronic pop."

Aihe is the original artist, but without Greene as producer, the song would never be heard.

"A.J. is one of the most talented musicians I have ever met," Bolton said. "I could play a song in the car that he has never heard before and five minutes later, he will have figured out how to play it on the piano."

Besides being an Auburn student and football player, Greene chooses to spend his free time making music.

"Music takes me to a different place," said Greene, senior in anthropology. "I don't think about anything else. It takes me to a certain place that I love to be."

Aihe said it has been fun working with Greene.

"He is just so funny," Aihe said. "He is also a great singer and just a great guy. His passion for football and music is out of this world. I don't know how he can go so hard at football, then come home and make three top-notch beats. He inspires me."

Greene wanted to study music production at Auburn, but found out the program wasn't available, so it became a hobby.

"It's difficult to balance football, school and music," Greene said. "I want to do something, so I have to make time for that. I teach myself everything I know."

Bolton said she expects the two to be successful in their venture.

"The 'Orange Navy Anthem' is a great song," Bolton said. "I think they are going to get a lot of buys because it is so different and so catchy."

The song is complete and is now available on iTunes.

"I think it is a great song, but people are mistaking it," Greene said. "It isn't just a song, it is a tradition that we are trying to create. Why do we say orange-blue in the stadium, when we could say orange-navy?"

Tunes from the pair, including "Orange Navy Anthem" have been played at different Auburn sporting events, including the spring football game.

"This is one of those songs that if it plays in the stadium everyone is going to go crazy," Aihe said.

Aihe started working on the song while in graduate school in Montgomery last football season.

"Auburn was doing so well, and I couldn't be there. I just wanted to do something nice for them," Aihe said. "No matter, win, lose or draw, we are still Auburn Tigers, and I incorporated that into the song. It's just a song I believe will be around for a long time."

The song also has a music video that was filmed Saturday before and after the Auburn football game.

Follow Aihe's Twitter account, @teamorangenavy, for more details.

"A.J. and Aihe are a part of the Auburn family, and they are making music for the school and teams that they love," Bolton said. "I think that we as students and fans should be proud of that effort and do everything we can to support them."

Share and discuss “Auburn-themed hip-hop song creates noise on the Plains” on social media.