Old styles return for new generation

The clip-in hair feathers at Behind the Glass come in many vintage styles and colors. (Raye May / INTRIGUE EDITOR)

Fashion has taken many twists and turns throughout the years, and it often repeats itself. Now, the '60s, '70s and '80s are back for round two.

The trends can be seen in department stores everywhere, from big names like Wet Seal and Forever 21, to smaller indepentent companies. Behind the Glass in downtown Auburn is one such store.

"It started probably two years ago," said Chloe Popwell, general manager and junior in apparel merchandise. "I remember when big tops and skinny jeans got really big. Those are still current."

Popwell said the sloppier side of the '80s fashion is sticking around, and though the neons are going out, they are not gone yet.

"One thing that's still big with neons are the sheer tops with bright, lacy bandeaus underneath, like Madonna," Popwell said.

Kendall Wangman, junior in journalism and Behind the Glass employee, said the grungier side of '80s fashion is still big.

"Workwear and menswear for women is in," Wangman said.

Despite some lingering popularity, however, Popwell feels the '80s era of fashion is coming to an end.

"I think it's kind of going out," Popwell said. "The '60s and '70s are coming back in with wide-leg, flare jeans, crop tops and wedges. I think the '70s will be really big for spring."

Popwell believes the shift in style came about because people wanted a big change in wardrobe.

"Trends always recycle," Popwell said. "And there's this contrast between what was happening with the really fitted stuff and tight tops. People wanted a severe change\0xAD--that's the reason for all the huge tops now."

Annie Jackson, Behind the Glass manager, agreed with Popwell.

"I feel like the '80s fashion trend is dying down," Jackson said. "People aren't wearing so many layers and long tanks. Big and boxy is so in."

Jackson said that music and television greatly influence style changes, most notably women like Katy Perry, Beyonce and the Kardashian sisters in recent years.

"For a while people were obsessed with Hollywood skinny," said Jackson. "Then people like Khloe Kardashian and Beyonce, these really full-figured women, became empowered."

The recent change in clothing trends has also brought about new trends in hair styles, namely "hair feathers."

"I think it's a late '60s, early '70s kind of thing," Wangman said. "People are going through a free-spirit kind of thing, and our generation is going through a revival of expressing yourself and not caring what others think."

The hair feathers sold at Behind the Glass are temporary clip-ins, though more permanent accessories are avaliable.

"They can last up to three months if you take care of them," said Lyndsey Fukai, stylist at Dimensions Salon on East Magnolia Avenue. "You can wash them, curl them, flat-iron them, and they'll last as long as you're not ripping through your hair."

Fukai said the feathers are a good alternative to dying your hair wild colors, and they will not damage hair.

The trend has been around for some time, but has come to Auburn through Dimensions only in the last two months.

"Last year one of my best friends from Canada came home with one," Fukai said. "She said we should get them here ... and we finally got around to it."

Fukai said hair feathers are surprisingly popular, especially among sororities.

"I think they think it's something really different," Fukai said. "It started with indie kids, but now it's trickled over to the mainstream."

Jackson said she believes the shift in fashion trends has to do with a movement of self-love in society today.

"It's about being comfortable in your own skin," Jackson said. "That's why fashion is changing."

Share and discuss “Old styles return for new generation” on social media.