Writers stir myth, mystery

The Auburn Writers Conference, to be held Oct. 7-8, has been in the works for more than a year and promises to be as magical as the myths and hauntings that make up this year's theme.

The conference costs $40 for students, and each year it focuses on teaching different aspects of writing. This year's theme is "Myth, Mystery and the Haunted Muse."

"We're basically asking people to think about the way authors use the idea of the haunted in their work, either literally or figuratively," said creative writing professor Chantel Acevedo. "In other words, what haunts characters, what motivates characters, and what moves the plot along?"

Acevedo presented the idea to the director of the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for the Arts & Humanities, Jay Lamar, who was able to add the conference to the already substantial list of programs the center hosts throughout the year.

"I was talking to Jay Lamar, and I mentioned to her that I wanted to have a writing conference here in town," Acevedo said. "I'm a writer, and I've been to many writers conferences, and I always thought they were so helpful. So Jay took out a notepad and said, 'OK, how do we get started?'"

The Writers Conference is one of the biggest events hosted by the CMDC, and planning for next year's is already underway. Lamar said it is worth it, though, to be able to create a forum for writers to share and improve their work.

"I think for established writers, like the ones who are leading the workshops and doing presentations, it helps connect them to their readers," Lamar said. "I have never met a writer who didn't want to encourage other writers."

Michelle Hopf, graduate student in English, said she had a great time at last year's conference, and she looks forward to meeting the authors who will host the workshops this year.

"It really was wonderful," Hopf said. "I got to meet big names. Rachel Hawkins was there, and she's absolutely wonderful in person. It was just a neat opportunity, and I don't think this year is going to be any different."

Writers of different levels come to participate in the conference, and the hosts of the event do their best to make everyone comfortable.

"What's really nice is that everyone sort of sees it as, 'Well, we're all writers,'" Acevedo said. "We're all at different levels of that publishing game, but everyone in that room is a writer and a reader."

Hopf said everyone does a good job at making the participants feel comfortable, and being around such accomplished writers can help prospective authors gain more confidence in their own writing.

"It just gives you a unique sense of confidence because you're in this building with all of these writers," Hopf said. "Some of them are nationally known at this point, and you get to know them on somewhat of a personal level."

All of the participants are encouraged to share their work with other members of the workshops for critique, but it's not mandatory.

"Sometimes it may be a little frightening to share your work, but the feedback is very valuable, and all of the workshop leaders are just so nurturing and supportive and enthusiastic about what they're doing," Lamar said.

Share and discuss “Writers stir myth, mystery” on social media.