Ecology preserve, children's author tell kids to take it outside

The Louise Kreher Forest Ecology Preserve and children's author Daisy Griffin are hosting a book release party and afternoon of fun with nature Tuesday in an effort to encourage children to spend more time outdoors.

"Children are not going outside anymore," said Jennifer Lolley, administrator of the LKFEP. "They spend about 1 percent of their day outdoors, and 7 percent is spent on multimedia.

"Who is going to care about nature when they become the grown ups? They're our future stewards, so if they don't care about it and love it, they won't take care of it."

Lolley said the problem comes from a child's lack of education about nature. At the ecology preserve, offering this education has become a primary focus.

A few years ago, Jennifer Lolley and Sarah Crim, former director of student services in the College of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, began a preschool program for children ages 2 to 5 called Forest Friends.

"I have a background in forestry, and I have three kids," Crim said. "I just wanted something like this for my kids, and there was nothing else. We take the kids for hikes and do crafts. We get their hands on animals and nature."

Griffin attended Forest Friends with her children, and after seeing her enthusiasm, Crim asked Griffin to take her place during her third pregnancy.

Griffin and Crim now teach the class together, and Crim is said she is grateful for what Griffin brings to their team.

"Daisy knows all about animals because her background is in zoology," said Crim. "If you see someone on the side of the road, she's the one trying to rescue something and take care of it."

In 2010 Daisy took her passion for nature and revealing its intricacies to children in a new direction--books.

"I've written a couple of picture books for the Kindle," Griffin said. "I got a Kindle, and there weren't a lot of picture books at first. I have three children, so that's what gave me the idea to make a couple."

Griffin's picture books started selling, so she decided to try writing a chapter book.

"It turned out to be a much bigger project than I thought it would be," Griffin said. "I enjoy writing, but it's never been easy for me, and it wasn't easy this time. But I really enjoy having it done and sharing it with people."

The book is called "Samantha Loses the Box Turtle," and Griffin described it as an educational story with facts snuck in about box turtles and nature.

It is based on a true story.

"A couple of years ago, my kids and I picked up a turtle off the road on Gay Street," Griffin said. "We brought it home, and now it lives at the preserve."

Griffin will read the book at Tuesday's event, and the children will get to play with the same turtle that stars in the book.

There will be refreshments and a discovery nature hike after the reading.

The book release party will take place Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. at the Louise Kreher Forest Ecology Preserve and has free admission.

Share and discuss “Ecology preserve, children's author tell kids to take it outside” on social media.