Famous Farmer excels at cooking, gardening

Auburn graduate James Farmer meets Leigh Hardy at his book signing for "A Time to Plant" Friday at Frou Frou floral shop. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

James Famer loves Southern gardening. In fact, he loves all aspects of Southern horticulture.

In his book, "A Time to Plant," Farmer establishes himself as a Southern Renaissance man, a nationally recognized landscaper and interior designer known for capturing all aspects of Southern landscaping, encompassing both food and gardening as a way to enhance daily life.

"A Time to Plant" is the first in a seven-book series in which Farmer seeks to educate readers about quality garden living.

Released in September, the book has already risen to No. 2 on the Wall Street Journal's best-seller list. Making himself nationally known was no easy task, Farmer said.

"It takes a lot of hard work, a lot of networking," Farmer said. "I'm a firm believer that it takes a village to do anything. So by having a good village and great people around you, whether it's friends from Auburn or friends I meet along the way, but it's keeping yourself surrounded by great people who are always going to be cheerleaders and who will support you."

Farmer, an alumnus of Auburn's horticulture program, is also the founder of his own landscape company, James Farmer Designs, which he founded in 2005, according to his professional website, www.jamesfarmer.com.

He said his education at Auburn was a crucial stepping stone toward his current success.

"I was one of those folks who were fortunate enough to major in exactly what I wanted to do," Farmer said. "So my classes literally prepared me for my business. As a designer, I know what plants, what styles, the whole looks I want to create for my clients."

Harry Ponder, professor of horticulture, said he remembers Farmer as a student.

"He was very creative, kind of like a visionary ... He was an outstanding student," Ponder said. "James started a business out of school (and) built an excellent reputation as a floral designer and chef."

Leah Kay, senior in horticulture and intern at floral shop Frou Frou, said she is excited about the new book series and looks forward to reading her autographed copy.

"James has a really interesting way of approaching the horticulture business," Kay said. "He doesn't just limit himself to one thing. (The book series is) going to be about ... the Southern style. It will be a way to approach Southern hospitality in ways other than just inviting people into your home."

Farmer's future goal is to become his generation's vanguard spokesman for gardening and cooking.

"I'm 29, and my generation's--give or take a few years above or below me--I really want to become their voice for garden living."

Share and discuss “Famous Farmer excels at cooking, gardening” on social media.