Program turns trash to treasure

Jonna Chizik holds a few of the tornado treasures created from Lake Martin-area trash. (CONTRIBUTED)

The Chizik family has become heroes off the football field to many in Dadeville and the Lake Martin area.

Earlier this year the Chiziks founded The Chizik Family YouTurn Foundation.

One of its first major projects is raising money to support locals affected by the area tornadoes this spring.

"It was during many trips to the Dadeville and Lake Martin area where we witnessed the treasured possessions of so many being tossed to the side of the road as trash," said co-founder Jonna Chizik.

During multiple trips to clean and rebuild the Dadeville area, Chizik recovered various items of "tornado trash" from the storm's aftermath and was inspired to help restore the trash into valuable items.

Chizik said she was astounded at the items that managed to survive such an intense storm.

"We were, more importantly, in awe of the resilience of the human spirit and in awe of people who stood even stronger and not only survived the storm, but were already recognizing the blessings that come from such a trajedy," Chizik said.

Since the foundation's start, it has grown into an effort of more than 100 people. And over the last few months, local artists helped transform the trash into beautiful artwork.

"When Jonna told me about this upcoming event, she inspired me to transform a piece of my own," said Kristen Cooper, senior in marketing.

Cooper chose to use her creative abilities to transform a brick from the tornado site into a treasure.

"I painted a tornado for the background with a cross in the center of the brick to show that Christ is always there in a time of need and desperation," Cooper said.

Limited artwork, along with other items like Auburn football memorabilia, celebrity autographs and vacation packages, were available through an online auction, but the rest of the items are available at the main event, Trash2Treasure Art Gala and Celebration Concert, taking place Thursday at The Event Center Downtown in Opelika.

Some of the artists will be present at the event to share their personal story of transforming the trash and what inspired them. The restored items in the auction range from furniture, canvas art, quilts, glasswork, doors, shutters and more.

"The message of Trash2Treasusre is to celebrate the blessings that come from tragedy and the healing that comes from the way our God connects communities through his people who are willing to share their many talents," Chizik said.

A committee including Dadeville city and community leaders and families affected by the tornadoes will gather after the event to decide where the money raised will be most beneficial.

"Trash2Treasure is such a unique event that shows how the Auburn family is so giving and passionate about the community," Cooper said.

Share and discuss “Program turns trash to treasure” on social media.