Superfoods save day

Superfoods are packed with vital vitamins and minerals and exceed the normal nutritional content.

Auburn students agree with adding foods to their diets that will benefit their health.

"I would be willing to try anything new that is healthy for you," said Amber Steger, freshman in international business.

Along with antioxidants, these superfoods also contain compounds called phytonutrients, which can be found in many animal and plant products. Each of these phytonutrients plays a specific role in increasing a person's health.

For example, carrots help with eyesight, and the phytonutrient in blueberries helps with reducing red coloring in your skin tone.

Some of the superfoods include broccoli, asparagus, green tea, tomatoes, Goji berries (which supposedly help in rapid weight loss), cacao, peanut butter and turkey.

"All these foods (and their close relatives) are foods that are nutrient-dense," said Ann Johnson, graduate assistant in nutrition and food science. "They have a large amount of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals for few calories. I would recommend all of these to be included in a diet," Johnson said.

Some students already incorporate healthy eating or drinking into their daily habits.

"I love the Naked drinks," said Dagny Jewell, freshman in finance. "So I'd definitely be willing to put more superfoods in my diet."

These foods are meant to improve many things throughout your body, including younger skin appearance, increased lifespan, protecting your heart and body from diseases, sleeping more restfully, losing weight more easily and gaining more energy.

Johnson said superfoods cannot fix everything wrong with a person's health.

"The old adage, 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is,' is revelant here," Johnson said.

Although some people may say that superfoods are not all that they are cracked up to be, many superfoods are deemed beneficial to the long-term health of an individual.

Share and discuss “Superfoods save day” on social media.