Wallen is ballin'

From a fan's perspective, nothing is nicer than having confidence in a late-inning pitcher in a close game.

While Major League Baseball has names like Mariano Rivera and Jonny Venters, Auburn has senior pitcher Ethan Wallen.

"He's a tremendous athlete," said coach John Pawlowski. "He's one of the best two or three athletes on our team. He handles himself on the mound and loves to compete.

"In baseball, especially in this league, there has to be things that separate you from the next person, and he certainly is one of our most competitive guys."

Wallen said he began playing baseball at age 4 and fell in love with the game while competing around his friends. As the Anderson, Ala., native continued playing, he became the definition of a utility player.

"I caught in high school, pitched, short stop--played whatever depending on who was playing the other positions," Wallen said. "I like doing it all. It's fun."

Despite being a versatile baseball player, Wallen said he didn't know he was good enough for collegiate baseball until his high school coach, Trent Patterson, had Northwest Shoals Community College scout him, ultimately landing him a spot with the Patriots.

After going 5-2 with a 4.76 ERA playing for the Patriots his freshman year, Wallen went 4-0 his sophomore year with a 2.25 ERA.

"My sophomore year, I got a lot of muster on my fastball," Wallen said. "And that fall I felt like I was throwing it really well."

The performance received attention from Pawlowski, who offered him the opportunity to become a Tiger.

"I was born and raised an Auburn fan, and it's always been my dream to come here and play," Wallen said. "To get recruited by them, there was no other option to go anywhere else."

Last year Wallen had the most appearances on the team, something the coaching staff said is one of his strengths.

"With Ethan and the way his arm works, he's available almost every time he comes to the ballpark," said assistant coach Scott Foxhall. "That's a huge advantage for a coaching staff to have someone like that with such a bounce-back in his arm."

Wallen also had the third-lowest ERA at 4.83 and second-most wins with five, which Pawlowski mostly credited to his delivery.

"He throws from a little bit different of an arm angle," Pawlowski said.

"It's great because it's different. It's a low, low three-quarter arm slot, and he gives us a different look out there when he's pitching."

As fall practice continues, Wallen said he's working on being more consistent, throwing strikes, being in the zone and allowing the defense to back him up.

"Last season, I struggled a little bit throwing strikes," Wallen said. "That's been my main focus this summer and this fall. It's being able to throw strikes and spot up."

Foxhall said Wallen has done well thus far through practice.

Although it's only October and there are still plenty of kinks to be worked out with the team overall, Wallen's role on the team is already known.

"It'll be middle to late in the ball game when he'll be used," Pawlowski said. "He's the type of guy that can go in there and get ground balls, and he's going to be in with guys in scoring positions and guys on base.

"You have to have somebody that has a little different beat to them, and he certainly has that."

Only time will tell if Wallen can perform this year.

"Everybody's dream is to make it to the big leagues," Wallen said. "But you can only go day-by-day, work hard now and hope it pays off in the end."

Share and discuss “Wallen is ballin'” on social media.