Your View: Liberty group can be biased while remaining nonpartisan

There has been some confusion recently about whether Young Americans for Liberty is nonpartisan or not, and I hope I can clear things up for everyone. I refer here to an article published about us in USA TODAY and to Matt Greenemeier's letters to the editor.

It is a mistake to think that because YAL is influenced by libertarian philosophy, it cannot be nonpartisan. While some in the group are libertarians, that is not to say that the group advocates voting on the Libertarian ticket. It is an easy mistake to make, but it is a mistake that needs to be addressed.

Among libertarians, the phrases "large-L" and "small-l" are used to distinguish the political party from the philosophy. Small-l libertarianism refers to the political philosophy, while large-L Libertarianism refers to the party. The two are not mutually inclusive, especially given the depth and breadth of the small-l movement and the small size of the party. Certainly, many members of YAL are supporters of small-l libertarianism. But this in no way indicates any affiliation with the large-L Libertarian Party.

Also, the word "nonpartisan" means "free from party affiliation, bias, or designation" according to Merriam-Webster. Since YAL is not affiliated with or biased toward a party, the group is nonpartisan. The group and many in it may be ardent supporters of small-l libertarianism, but that and our nonpartisanship are not contradictory. Would one say an organization dedicated to furthering democracy or republicanism is partisan despite there being political parties with capitalized versions of those words?

In the sense that the group is defined by certain principles, of course YAL is biased -- what organization isn't? Any organization standing for a particular political philosophy is by definition going to be biased; otherwise there really isn't a point to the organization. However, there is a difference between adopting a philosophical position and supporting a political party.

I commend those doing research into YAL's philosophical position, and I understand how they might get confused about the meanings of the word "libertarian."

Anyone with further questions or concerns should stop by our next meeting which will be listed online at facebook.com/auburnyal.

Eric Phillips

senior, psychology and economics

Share and discuss “Your View: Liberty group can be biased while remaining nonpartisan” on social media.