Music can make the trip

Hitting the road for a concert can make for a great college memory.

Fans of country music can take a trip to Nashville. For jazz, look no further than New Orleans. And for rock, folk and indie music, Atlanta and Birmingham have exciting scenes.

Mamie Price, senior in nutrition and dietetics and president of Sigma Alpha Iota, said one of her favorite musical experiences was attending the four-day Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tenn.

"I went to Bonnaroo over the summer with a couple of the sisters," Price said. "Bonnaroo was an awesome opportunity because there were bands playing all the time."

Price said it was the best chance she's had to discover new music.

"It's definitely a great experience because you get to see so many bands," Price said. "But it is really hot. You sleep in a tent. You could shower, but it doesn't do any good. It's definitely roughing it, but it's worth it."

Another way to save time and money while discovering new music is attending local shows.

"One of the coolest places is nearby in Waverly, Ala., out at Standard Deluxe," said Paul Eason, sales associate at The Guitar Shoppe in Auburn.

Eason said the relaxed environment and the overall look of Standard Deluxe is what makes it one of his favorite places to attend concerts.

"It's a kind of small, more intimate venue, and it's outside," Eason said. "It's kind of on a hill with a slight incline. You just bring a blanket and you sit down. It's pretty intimate with the artist even if there's a lot of people there."

Eason said working at The Guitar Shoppe has been a great way to find new music.

"A lot of times I will meet new people and find it that way," Eason said. "Or a friend of a friend is in a band."

Eason said he is a big supporter of local music venues and thinks they are a good opportunity for local music lovers.

"The Irish Bred Pub is pretty cool," he said. "A lot of musicians around here will go to Standard Deluxe or go to Ben's Chophouse in Columbus, Ga. Places like Zazu will even have an open mic night, and you get to find out things there."

Share and discuss “Music can make the trip” on social media.