College democrats screening

The Auburn University College Democrats met Feb. 2 to screen the documentary "Hot Coffee" and discuss the issue of torte reform to Auburn students.

"We want to raise awareness on tort reform, what it is that it actually means and how it affects all of us as Americans," said Sergio Gallardo, sophomore in political economy and community service chair of the Auburn College Democrats.

The issue of tort reform is consistently present in today's politics. However, the documentary demonstrates the issues of tort reform and the general ignorance of most Americans of the issue.

Auburn College Democrats President Jacob Dean, sophomore in political science, wanted to bring the issue to campus and provide students with information on the issues regarding tort reform.

"It's something that is not widely recognized and a lot of people are actually ignorant to the fact of what tort reform actually is," Dean said. "It's not something that's thrown around that people actually understand what it means."

Dean said the topic of tort reform is often ignored. He describes tort reform as "another roadblock to get into the court system."

"It's a topic that does not get a lot of attention, especially on college campuses. I thought it would be important to highlight the field," Dean said.

The screening of the documentary begins to break down the complicated process to help students understand the issue of tort reform and how it affects Americans.

"Because it's such a dry topic, a lot of kids, especially college kids, don't want to learn about it," Gallardo said.

To better help students understand, College Democrats invited Clifton Perry, professor of political science at Auburn, to speak at the screening. Perry introduced the topic of tort reform and how it can affect everyone. He reiterated the importance of understanding the topic and its importance to American politics today.

"It's important to understand because it's a function of being an educated citizen," Perry said. "But also, reforms can be good and bad and some of these reforms will actually prevent you from taking issues to court."

Perry discussed the necessity of learning about tort reform to understand the differences and be able to change it by voting before restrictions on court cases become too severe.

"It's an important part of redressing your rights if they're transgressed and not having the court doors closed on you," Perry said.

"Hot Coffee" examined the effects of tort reform and the struggle to expose the politics behind these reforms. The documentary provided new information about tort reform to students present at the viewing.

"I learned that there is a lot more to the system than anybody really sees," said Carol Linde, freshman undeclared. "The movie showed that there's a lot to the process that people need to disregard and focus on the complicated issues."

To The Auburn University College Democrats met Feb. 2 to screen the documentary "Hot Coffee" and discuss the issue of torte reform to Auburn students.

"We want to raise awareness on torte reform, what it is that it actually means and how it affects all of us as American," said Sergio Gallardo, sophomore in political economy and community service chair of the Auburn College Democrats.

The issue of torte reform is consistently present in today's politics. However, the documentary demonstrates the issues of torte reform and the general ignorance of most Americans to the issue.

Auburn College Democrats President, Jacob Dean, sophomore in political science, wanted to bring the issue to campus and provide students with information on the issues regarding torte reform.

"It's something that is not widely recognized and a lot of people are actually ignorant to the fact of what torte reform actually is," Dean said. "It's not something that's thrown around that people actually understand what it means."

Dean said the topic of torte reform is often ignored. He describes torte reform as "another roadblock to get into the court system."

"Because it's such a dry topic, a lot of kids, especially college kids don't want to learn about it," Gallardo said.

To better help students understand, College Democrats invited Dr. Clifton Perry, a political science professor at Auburn, to speak at the screening. Perry introduced the topic of torte reform and how it can affect everyone. He reiterated the importance of understanding the topic and its importance to American politics today.

Perry discussed the necessity of learning about torte reform to understand the differences and be able to change it by voting before restrictions on court cases become too severe.

"Hot Coffee" examined the effects of torte reform and the struggle to expose the politics behind these reforms. The documentary provided new information about torte reform to students present at the viewing.

If interested in joining email Jacob Dean at jrd0015@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “College democrats screening” on social media.