Lecture series in dire straits

The Littleton-Franklin Lecture Series may only continue for one more year if a new source of funding is not found.

The lectures, which began in 1968, bring prominent speakers in the fields of science and the humanities to Auburn University.

Gerard Elfstrom, head of the program, said the Franklin Foundation in Georgia began to taper off funding six years ago, and that funding completely stopped about three years ago. Next year, Elfstrom said the lectures will continue by pooling resources and jointly sponsoring lectures with other departments.

"After that we'll have to pull the plug unless we can put together some other sources of funding," Elfstrom said.

Drawing a crowd is not a problem for the lecture series. Elfstrom said there have been many occasions where there weren't enough seats available to accommodate everyone who attended.

In addition to students and faculty, the lectures draw in members of the Auburn community as well as people from out of town.

"People from all over the community attend," Elfstrom said. "Retired members of the community come. Shop owners come. We've had buses of high school students come."

Without a new source of funding in sight, however, the lectures will end next year.

Still, Elfstrom said he remains hopeful.

"We're talking to people and writing letters to people trying to come up with things," Elfstrom said. "Something might happen. It's just a question of contacting the right person."

Elfstrom said the lectures bring important subjects to the minds of students and faculty members and encourage conversation around campus. He said the lectures also give speakers a chance to learn about Auburn.

"The lectures have brought some of the greatest scientists of our time, as well as towering literary figures, to Auburn University," Elfstrom said.

Elfstrom said speakers get to know students and are interested in learning about them, and the lectures give students an opportunity to meet renowned figures and get to know them on a more personal level.

Traditionally, the lecturers have breakfast with a small group of students the day after the event and also attend several classes.

"It's something that has been a valued part of the Auburn campus for many years," Elfstrom said. "It's important to folks. It would be a shame if it goes away."

The Auburn Magazine ran an article about the danger the Littleton-Franklin Lecture Series was facing in an effort to gain funding. Unfortunately, Elfstrom said, the article could have been easily missed because it ran at the bottom of the page with no picture.

"I think that there are many alumni out there that would want to preserve it," Elfstrom said. "The question is, how do we get the word out?"

Arthur Caplan, philosopher in the field of bioethics, will be speaking Feb. 28 at 4 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom in Littleton-Franklin's second lecture this year. More information can be found about the lectures and making contributions at http://cla.auburn.edu/cla/littleton-franklin/.

Share and discuss “Lecture series in dire straits” on social media.