Mardi Gras parade to finish with masquerade ball on Saturday

On Fat Tuesday, there is always room for seconds.

Mardi Gras may have ended in Mobile and New Orleans, but the fourth annual Krewe of Redeux parade plans to march at 5:30 p.m. on "Fatter Saturday" to give Auburn a chance at a festival that is often missed in this part of the state.

"We were literally driving back from Mardi Gras (four years ago) and decided we wanted to do this here," said Frost Rollins, founding member of the group and organizer of the event.

Purple, gold and green are the standard Mardi Gras colors, but for this parade, the emphasis will be on the green.

In addition to recelebrating, the name of the parade refers to its secondhand use of old beads, toys and trinkets to toss to onlookers.

Some of the beads will even be made out of recycled newspaper and the masks and costumes are all made of repurposed material.

While parades in larger cities feature large tractors towing towering floats, this parade maintains a theme of sustainability.

"It's a redo of Mardi Gras in Auburn with redone beads, reused material and recycled spirit," Rollins said.

With the parade being held on Arbor Day, the Krewe is taking the green label more seriously than usual and will even be throwing germinated live oak seeds donated by the Donald E. Davis Arboretum.

A march of 30 to 50 walkers with a float fashioned from a platform mounted on four bicycles will begin at the Gnu's Room, the local used bookstore, coffee shop and sponsor for the event.

It will then proceed down Gay Street until it eventually turns onto and ends at Virginia Avenue where a masquerade ball featuring live music and cajun cuisine will be held at 6 p.m.

Tickets are limited and will be sold for $10 at the end of the procession.

While Rollins and company started this tradition for their own enjoyment, the community is the primary focus of the revelry.

"We wanted the parade to be about the people," Rollins said.

Preceding the parade will be a small fair held by and located outside of the Gnu's Room, Perch Bead Studio and Faunhouse. All ages are welcome and encouraged to take part in painting faces, decorating parasols and stringing beads to throw or wear.

The group donates to a charity when the parade is finished.

"The last (parade) we made a $500 contribution to the Food Bank of East Alabama," Rollins said.

This year Rollins will be giving some of that money to the Gnu's Room for their assistance.

Rollins asked Tina Tatum, director of the Gnu's Room, about starting the parade at her shop this year instead of from Rollins' house and Tatum thought it sounded fun, according to Tatum.

Between the festivities and the parade, Rollins says that, although it may be goofy, events like these are important to Auburn.

"I don't know of another time that people come together from all different sectors of society and march down the street and have fun," Rollins said.

Share and discuss “Mardi Gras parade to finish with masquerade ball on Saturday” on social media.