Softball looks to build off 2011

Sophomore Morgan Estell takes batting practice the week leading up to the season opener. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

The Auburn softball team opens its season Thursday against the Alabama State Hornets.

Coach Tina Deese is looking to build off last season's success and the Tigers' fourth regional tournament appearance.

"In a nutshell, we're playing to win the West and get to another regional," Deese said. "Because quite honestly, in our sport, getting to a regional, there's no telling what can happen after that point."

Auburn returns its top two hitters from last season, sophomore first baseman and outfielder Morgan Estell and senior shortstop and second baseman Lauren Guzman.

"We've got alot of good talent out there," Deese said. "Its all based on how well we work together."

Guzman batted .319 and lead the team with 31 RBIs last season. She was named to the 2011 SEC All-Tournament team and has started 175 consecutive games for the Tigers, the third-longest streak in school history.

Estell was named to the preseason All-SEC team.

In 2011, Estell led the team with a .376 batting average, 38 runs and six home runs and was third on the team with 30 RBIs.

"I just want to help the team," Estell said. "Whether I'm in the outfield, the infield or the dugout-wherever I'm needed I want to help the team out."

Senior outfielder and first baseman Amber Harrison batted a .252 average and had 28 RBIs.

"Personally I had a rougher junior year than I would have liked," Harrison said. "So this year I'm focusing more on just having fun and not getting so boggled down with batting averages and just enjoying softball."

Harrison is one of seven seniors on the team, which graduated four players a year ago.

Deese, the 2002 SEC Coach of the Year, knows transitioning to a new season will be tough, but said she believes in her team.

"This year has been more of a challenge for me than any other time," Deese said. "That's simply because we've got some transfer students and the freshman are going to play a very large role. We're just trying to get everyone on the same page. I think once we get there, we'll be able to stay there."

With the void in leadership, Deese has seen members of her team answer the challenge.

"This year, you're looking at Elizabeth Eisterhold as one who has really stepped up," Deese said. "Jenee Loree on the mound has stepped up into a prominent leadership role. And then Lauren Guzman, of course, who has been a leader on the field throughout her years, but really this year in the absence of Kendall White, has had to step into her shoes and run our defense."

Last season the Tigers finished with a 40-19 record, including 15-13 in the SEC. Their season ended with a 4-3 loss to Brigham Young in the NCAA Seattle Regional.

After the game against Alabama State Thursday, Auburn hosts the Tiger Invitational Feb. 10-12 and the SEC/ACC/Big 12 Challenge, where the Tigers will play No. 6 Oklahoma and No. 16 Oklahoma State.

Last season, Auburn split two meetings with the Cowboys and won in their only game against the Sooners.

"If you look, we've got a very strong schedule," Deese said. "I do believe we've got a team that can compete and beat those teams. It's all about who's going to play better on any given day."

Share and discuss “Softball looks to build off 2011” on social media.