Swap to save

Christine Patterson met Emily Kerzin one day while working at Dayspring Nature Shoppe, and the two hit it off talking about thrifting.

Now the pair has teamed up to host an official clothing swap at Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship for students and the community.

Kerzin, graduate student in counseling psychology, attended her first swap as an undergrad at New York University.

"I saw some kind of little blurb about a clothing swap, and I was living in the city at the time and it was in Brooklyn, and I dragged a friend," Kerzin said. "I was like, 'I don't know how this is going to be, but we're going to go.'"

A clothing swap is when people bring unwanted clothes, accessories or shoes to an event and trade them for other people's items.

"That one had the most effect on me because ... instead of going out and buying and consuming new stuff, they're taking pride in this event," Kerzin said.

Patterson, freshman in fine art, said the two began attending AUUF together and decided to hold the clothing swap there.

"They're just a great group of people looking for ways to reach out to the community," Patterson said. "The fellowship has a great space, and I told her I don't think it's ever been done in Auburn, and it's great for a college town."

Kerzin said male clothing will be incorporated into the swap.

"It matters if guys come," Kerzin said. "I think the more number of people ... come, you have more to choose from."

Kerzin said she loves swaps because the number of items a person can leave with is not tied to what he or she brings to the event.

She said she's seen people leave with full suitcases of stuff or just a few items.

"It's like a potluck," Kerzin said. "No one is going to be like, 'You have to bring something' or, 'You have to provide as much as you eat.' Like, we're just going to throw it all out on the table and usually it works out."

Admission is free for students with a TigerCard and $3 for the public. All proceeds will benefit the AUUF.

"We're not going to turn anybody away if they don't bring money," Patterson said. "We're not really trying to raise money. (We're) more providing something fun for students and anybody in the Auburn-Opelika area to get involved in.

"Also, (the swap is) kind of a way to send a message about reusing and recycling and different ways to still shop ... in this economy."

The swap will be held Feb. 18 from noon to 5 p.m. at the Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship on the corner of East Thatch Avenue and Debardeleben Street.

Share and discuss “Swap to save” on social media.