Tigers lose game one against Bulldogs

Late game scoring and a solid defense allowed the Mississippi State Bulldogs to defeat the Auburn Tigers 5-3 Friday night at Plainsman Park.

Mississippi State had 10 hits and just one error on the night. The Tigers managed to get eight hits, but their three errors cost them.

"You expect games to be close," said Auburn coach John Pawlowski. "Defensively I thought we had three big miscues that really hurt us tonight. Friday night in the SEC, you've got to execute when you have the opportunity."

The Bulldogs move to 18-9, 3-4 in the SEC, while the Tigers fall to 15-11, 4-3 in the SEC.

Senior right-hander Derek Varnadore got the start on the mound for the Tigers, and falls to 1-3 on the season. Varnadore allowed six hits, two earned runs and had six strikeouts in six innings of action.

"I thought we pitched well enough," Pawlowski said. "You can't say enough about what Varnadore did. He continues to give us a chance to win, just couldn't find a way tonight."

The Bulldogs started by scoring two runs in the first inning. Junior designated hitter Trey Porter singled to centerfield to score sophomore shortstop Adam Frazier and put Mississippi State on the board.

Sophomore left-fielder Hunter Renfroe followed with a grounder to second base into a double play, allowing junior catcher Mitch Slaughter to score, putting the Bulldogs up 2-0.

The Tigers answered with two runs in the bottom of the first to even the score. Junior left-fielder Cullen Wacker singled up the middle, and a throwing error allowed sophomore right-fielder Jay Gonzalez to score.

The next at bat, junior first-baseman Garrett Cooper singled to right field, sending Wacker home.

Both teams were scoreless for the next four innings, until the Bulldogs broke the tie in the sixth.

A sac fly by Mississippi State freshman second-baseman Matthew Britton sent home Renfroe and put the Bulldogs up 3-2.

Mississippi State added to its lead in the eighth, after sophomore center-fielder C.T. Bradford was able to reach second after a drop in right field by Gonzalez.

"(Gonzalez) must have gotten turned around a little bit," Pawlowski said. "He's going to make that play, its and unfortunate play. That's why you run hard and play every ball, because you just never know."

Bradford later scored on a throwing error by Auburn senior catcher Caleb Bowen to extend the lead to 4-2.

The Tigers responded with a run in the bottom of the eighth behind an RBI single by sophomore center-fielder Ryan Tella to make the score 4-3.

An RBI single by Porter in the top of the ninth gave the Bulldogs a two-run lead and sealed the game for Mississippi State.

The loss drops Auburn to 9-5 in games when holding their opponents to five or fewer runs.

The Tigers play game two tomorrow afternoon in Plainsman Park. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Tigers lose game one against Bulldogs” on social media.